ACD's 4/20 Gathering 2017

After (or during) your trip, post your report here.
Lemming
Site Admin

Re: ACD's 4/20 Gathering 2017

Post by Lemming »

@ aVeryOldLady

In that case it sounds like the ones you can't see are at:

Code: Select all

https://www.coffeeshopdirect.com/ForumPics/
Whereas the ones you can see are at:

Code: Select all

https://www.coffeeshopdirect.com/ShopPics/
Could you have something blocking coffeeshop.f2s.com by some means? Maybe some kind of child lock that you've bypassed for coffeeshopdirect but not coffeeshop.f2s.

Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Day 3 - Wednesday 19th April 2017 - Just Chillin'

I awake to find the sun shining and the sky blue.

Through Hollywood apartment window

I'm planning to try to catch up with the gang at Mr. K, where they're supposed to be from 1pm. That gives me enough time to give a quick report on yesterday in the live thread.

As I do so, DeLekkersteNUGS16 posts a change of plan. Apparently there's a large gathering going on at 137 right now and they want to continue the session there rather than moving to Mr. K. I send a text to Papi to let him know because he should be arriving about now and is expecting to find us at Mr. K.

I decide to take a route to 137 through the Jordaan so that I can pass Mr. K along the way. That will give me the opportunity to get some more coffeeshop pics and round up any stray cats.

It also means that I can follow one of my favourite routes, where the view seems to change dramatically every few metres.

First I cross the Aluminiumbrug, so named because its deck is indeed made of aluminium, apparently. On the other side of the bridge there is an archway that opens out into one of those quiet little hidden away courtyards. Part of the university I think.

A short flight of steps leads to a doorway through a wall. On the other side of this is Grimburgwal, where the southern ends of the two canals that flow through the Red Light District meet. That brings me to my first coffeeshop photographing opportunity.

Image Kadinsky 3

Next it's across the busy Rokin and onto the Spui. Then into the narrow Heisteeg where I can grab some pictures of the new-look Tweede Kamer.

Image Tweede Kamer

I see that the postage stamp sign still survives in a form. It's lost its wooden perforations now though. This is what it looked like in 2009 and 2010 respectively:

Image Image
Tweede Kamer sign 2009 and 2010

My walk continues past 420 Coffeeshop, Best Friends II and the remains of Biba until I arrive at Mr K.

Image Mr K & Co

As I'm snapping away at Mr. K, I see people inside waving at me. It turns out that Danny211204, Drugsbunny and Smirks have ignored the change of plan and migrated here from 137 regardless. I go inside and join them.

I haven't been into this shop since it was called Sanementereng. The first thing I notice is that its name has changed again. It was called simply Mr. K but now has a smart new graphic on the window saying Mr K & Co.

Are you up for another nostalgia trip? I hope so because I feel one coming on.

The old Sanementereng was unique. Outside it looked like a junk shop. There was an extraordinary collection of bits and pieces piled up in front. Not only that, but there were these huge tree trunks, apparently holding the building up.

Sanementereng before it became Mr. K

inside Sanementereng

Inside it was a proper Aladdin's Cave. Every part of the shop was full of stuff. So much so that there was barely space to roll a joint.

For me, though, this was the perfect environment to get stoned in. So much to look at.

Jumping back to the present day, there is still some interesting stuff in various corners around the shop.

Inside Mr K & Co 2017

I hope someone got a better menu shot. These are details from a larger picture.

Mr K & Co menu

As well as me charging around photographing everything, the four of us are settled in for a nice little session around the big table on the ground floor. We get chatting with the lady running the place and generally enjoy this pleasant little shop.

Smirks has a phone with internet access so I ask him to post where we are for anyone reading the live thread. This reveals another recent post indicating that the gang from 137 have now moved to Sound Garden.

Sound Garden is not far from where we are sitting and it is a nice sunny day. We have been in Mr K at the appointed time and it sounds like many gathered earlier at 137 so, hopefully, we haven't lost too many cats. It's a bit of an 'in between' day after the hecticness of yesterday and expected hecticness of tomorrow so chilling at Sound Garden for a while sounds like a cool idea to me.

The others are up for the idea so, once we finished our current round of joints and vapes, we head off.

The front of Sound Garden is looking a bit run down these days. Out back it's still the same, though, and very nice in the sunshine.

Image Sound Garden garden

Singelgracht from Sound Garden

There's a nice little session going on here. Everything is beautiful: the weather, the environment, the company, the weed... Nevertheless, it's approaching 3pm and we're supposed to be in Paradox soon. I mention this to the group but they tell me that word has been put out to everyone and they're all coming here to Sound Garden.

I think someone said that the Danes are rounding up anyone in Paradox and bringing them here. Certainly more and more of the gang are joining us, including new arrivals Choppermike, Nathan420stoner and Papi. There are at least a dozen of us here in the garden. We seem to have mislaid Lafe along the way somewhere. He hasn't been seen since 137. Apologies to him and anyone else we lost. Our cat herding is a bit poor today. We have found a furry cat though.

Don't even think about herding me

All of the kit is out. Behind the obvious there's also a Pax 3 on charge here I think.

The lens on my little camera is best for 28mm wide-angle shots rather than telephoto or macro but the bright sunshine helps me get this tasty shot:

After a couple of hours in Sound Garden I ask whether people fancy checking out Funky Munkey across the road. For some reason nobody seems very interested. Another half an hour or so later several of the crew are feeling hungry. At this point we divide into smaller groups with the intention of re-uniting at Rookies for the planned meet at 6pm.

The group I find myself with are vaguely Leidseplein-bound. We only get as far as 1e Hulp, though, before making a short stop.

At the Leidseplein, Papi and I wait while Macky pops into Burger King. That gives me the chance to get a few more coffeeshop pics.

From there it's straight to

Image Rookies

In Rookies we've assembled a substantial gathering. Our travelling circus is joined by Tuttiflutes and Omnibuzz. We've taken over one end of the smoking area and, as you'd expect, there's a serious session going on. I manage to exchange a few words with Tuttiflutes and Omnibuzz but I'm far too stoned to communicate properly.

Through the glass of Rookies smoking area

The disintegration of our plans for the day is completed when any thought of a Pijp crawl is abandoned. It was only an aspiration rather than a firm plan anyway so it's all good.

As we're leaving Rookies and heading into the centre we find HullDJ and Wife sitting outside in the late afternoon sun. We lost Spidergawd and Miss Muffett this morning but we've gained quite a few today so the Gathering is gathering.

Our evening is spent in Batavia as usual.

Image Batavia

I've now been in the 'Dam for a couple of days and reached a kind of level. This is my usual experience - the first night I'm absolutely destroyed and then, after a day or so, I reach a sort of plateau where I'm just constantly stoned but able to function in a sort of zombie fashion.

With this thought in mind, I no longer feel the need to decline any intoxicant I'm generously offered. "Dab Lemming?", "Yes please". Then Nugs produces a bottle labelled 'Tyson's THCyrup'. I'll just put some in your beer he says.

OK, now I've found a peak that rises above the plateau. I think that syrup is the only thing I really noticed as taking me to new level rather than just topping up my blitzed state. Very nice. Thanks Nugs. :D

Batavia is particularly hot and airless tonight. It seems like someone has sucked all of the oxygen out of the atmosphere. We take it in turns to pop upstairs and outside for a breath of air.

Eventually, around midnight, the smoky cavern is getting a bit too much for me and I decide to take a walk over to Utopia to have a spliff with Ingi.

As I'm walking along I hear someone shouting behind me. At first I think it's just a random drunk but then I hear my name. Turning around I find HullDJ steaming up behind me. Perfect, now we are two.

The pair of us continue to Utopia but when we get there it's all looking a bit dead. The door is unlocked so I pop my head around it and have a short conversation with Ingi. Apparently it's been a very quiet night and she's already shut up shop.

We pop into Babylon, which is at least open. I ask the budtender whether we can come and hang out in the lounge. "Sure" he says but then looks at the time and changes his mind. "Sorry mate, it's nearly closing time".

Eventually we finish up at Wonder Bar Two. A beer and a joint there in good company make a fine end to a fine day.

Big day tomorrow.
macky

Post by macky »

Really was getting into it …then I read I was there …OH now I remember great stuff lem :D
Wife says only way I may go again these year if I will go Christmas market in Germany with her :shock:
No not going back there ,that,s a bad memory from another 420 trip. :D The good news setting up trip to Spain next april with side trip to Dam for 420….Roll on 420 8)
EasilySuede

Post by EasilySuede »

great pics and write-up, Lem.
the buildings seem a little
cleaner than i "remember".
hope to make it next year.
acd rocks in so many
different ways.
cheers all
LLMReb

Post by LLMReb »

I'm enjoying how you sprinkle the past with the present. Great review so far. Looking forward to the next installation.
avfc-herbalist

Post by avfc-herbalist »

Love all the pictures mate! I agree with what LLMReb says about the past and present. Very enjoyable!
sit back, blaze ganja and chill
aVeryOldLady

Post by aVeryOldLady »

Lemming wrote: Thu 18th May 2017 02:24 pm
Could you have something blocking coffeeshop.f2s.com by some means? Maybe some kind of child lock that you've bypassed for coffeeshopdirect but not coffeeshop.f2s.
That might be it, but I wasn't able to figure the reason for it out. I can see every picture in your next entry, so please don't worry about it, it's all good.
Lemming wrote: Sat 20th May 2017 07:44 pm
I've now been in the 'Dam for a couple of days and reached a kind of level. This is my usual experience - the first night I'm absolutely destroyed and then, after a day or so, I reach a sort of plateau where I'm just constantly stoned but able to function in a sort of zombie fashion.
That's exactly how it goes for me - the first joint is a killer, and afterwards I settle in. :D
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Day 4 - Thursday 20th April 2017 - 4/20 Day!

I wake up late, still very stoned from last night. A relaxed pace seems the order of today, I don't feel like doing anything in a hurry.

Looking outside, I see that it's another lovely sunny day. The weather gods are smiling on us yet again. Perfect for 4/20 Day.

I've already missed the noon Abraxas meet so I aim to catch up with everyone at Hill Street Blues at 2pm.

A quick post on the Forum and then I get into photographing some of the objects around the apartment.

Much of the stuff reflects the Hollywood theme. There are posters and statues everywhere. There's even a Simpsons chess set!

Many of the items are broken or have bits missing. Undaunted, I wind up this little music box and discover that it works.

As well as ornaments, there are countless useful bits and pieces including this collection of bongs.

This strange contraption is particularly intriguing. We'll return to this later.

With that, I set off for a gentle amble down to Warmoesstraat, snapping loads more coffeeshop pics along the way.

Arriving at Hill Street Blues I grab a drink and venture into the lower smoking room where I find the gang settled into the sofas by the window looking out over the Damrak.

Image View of the Damrak from HSB

The Danish rolling factory is in full production and we're all getting suitably mashed. Then a happy smiley person bounces over and introduces themselves. Maybe this was Wiegehts38? I don't catch the name and I am, naturally, ridiculously stoned. Whoever it is asks whether they can join the boat party so I refer them to Macky. He decides that it's a bit late to be joining the group and the person disappears back into the crowd, looking slightly dejected.

Very sorry if that was you.

Inside HSB

Papi produces a large empty cone and says that he's planning to fill it for the boat trip. This sounds like a fine plan and makes me realise my stash is getting low. I decide that a suitable contribution to the cone is required and consult with the cannasseurs on what's best in this part of town.

Unusually nobody is able to suggest a particular strain but the consensus is that Voyagers is the best place to stock up. A quick trip down to Voyagers and I return with a couple of grams of 'Dank of England', which I pass to Papi for the cone.

There are different people in HSB now. Smirks is just inside the door with a bong (of course!) There are a few people outside and more downstairs. The rest have already made their way to the boat.

We soon decide that it's time to make for the boat. A short walk down Lange Niezel brings us to the Oude Kerk where we find a huge crowd of ACDers assembled. Wow! Macky really has earned his title of Champion Cat Herder.

There's at least 20 people here. The only problem is, there's no boat!

Macky and I do a full circuit around the outside of the church looking for the Red Light Tours office. We don't find it but, by the time we get back to the front, the boat has turned up.

Macky had been told that ours was the only trip today but, after the boat has docked, a mass of people disembark.

Anyway, here we are, we've got more than the required 20 people, we've got a boat that appears to work, that's another :thumbup: thumbs up in the saga of the 420 Boat Trip

[I took this picture of the Oude Kerk and the Smoke Boat the following day. You'll have to imagine the crowd of ACDers gathered on the quayside behind the boat.]

If you were following the run up to this year's 4/20 you might have caught the conversation about toilet facilities on the boat. The answer is that men are catered for to some extent.

Firstly there is this krul on the quayside where the boat departs.

Secondly there is this interesting 'gents' on the boat. It's a kind of box that opens at the front and the top. I don't think any of our crew tried it out.

Note the heren (gents) sign

There are no facilities for ladies anywhere. Maybe they're just not expected to drink as much beer as us blokes.

Some of the essential equipment on board:

We're soon boarding and on our way.

This story has been told several times already but it's so incredible that it has to be repeated.

The Ganja Cruise boat we went out on in 2015 and 2016 famously had a nice glass bong taking pride of place in the cabin. Naturally the first thing that Smirks and Papi ask when boarding the Smoke Boat is "do you have a house bong?" The reply of "What's a bong?" leaves us speechless for a moment. Are they joking? Apparently not!

The Smoke Boat is obviously an unashamed money making enterprise by the Red Light District Tours Company but, nevertheless, after taking out a few groups of stoners, you'd have thought they'd have got the hang of it by now. It soon becomes clear that they've never encountered anything like the ACD 420 crew before.

The young lad acting as cabin crew has the look of a rabbit caught in headlights. I can't imagine that we look particularly threatening but maybe he's scared of getting stoned.

Once the boat is moving our crew close all of the windows to create a smoke box. As the atmosphere thickens, the captain is looking very stoned indeed.

We're certainly showing these people how to run a proper smoke boat!

Meanwhile Papi has the cone ready for take-off. It looks very good and brings back memories of Mazdog's mega-joint rolled for our first boat trip that never sailed.

Image Papi's cone

Here's me taking a long draw on the cone watched by an audience on the bridge.

4:20 on 4/20 is suitably celebrated and, all too soon, we're back at the Oude Kerk.

The general consensus, both at the planning stage and now, is that we should go to Utopia next. The only problem is that when we get there we find it hasn't opened yet.

Some of the crew pile into the restaurant next door to eat. As I'm standing around outside, the urge to piss suddenly overcomes me. I should have taken one of those earlier opportunities. I walk into the restaurant and explain to the waiter that I will buy a beer in a minute but must use the loo first. He objects to this and starts muttering about a 1 euro charge. I don't need a long conversation about it so I walk past him ignoring his protests.

Suitably relieved I do indeed buy a beer and stand around with the eaters to drink it.

Utopia is soon open and we find that Ingi has put a 'Reserved for the ACD Forum' sign on a table and provided grapes and other goodies. What a lovely person she is.

Image Utopia

After a while I pop back to the apartment for a refuel and post on the Forum. Then it's back to Utopia again for more.

Around about 10pm we move to Batavia. It's last night for some of the party so we're hard at it.

There is some discussion about plans for tomorrow. The official schedule has a canal kayaking excursion to Utrecht but there doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm for that. I fancy doing some coffeeshop spotting in the area south of Oosterpark. I mention this to OHMF and we agree to meet at Ibiza at 1pm. Several people have already agreed to meet at La Grotte before that.

Around closing time we leave Batavia and see off the CCs out west. Papi and me then go to my apartment to try out the weird contraption shown near the start of this post.

In the end Papi gets no further than me in figuring out how this vaporiser-like object works. He also concludes that none of the bongs are useable either. We smoke a couple of joints and then he leaves and I crash out.
macky

Post by macky »

Always a nice report 8)
avfc-herbalist

Post by avfc-herbalist »

Another great read Lemming! Thank you mate 8)
sit back, blaze ganja and chill
Pierre von Mondragon

Post by Pierre von Mondragon »

Nice meeting you man, was a blast, well, many blasts...
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

If you would like pictures, please email me. Please don't use PM - my PM box is always overflowing. Plus, if you email me I can send pictures in a reply and know they're going to the right place.

The original pictures are very large so I can only attach about 4 to an email. Be selective!

Unless you state otherwise, I'll assume that you want pictures of yourself that I haven't included in this travelogue. You're welcome to the original big versions of any of those included here if you want them. I've got well over 1000 pictures of this 4/20 altogether but most are of coffeeshops from different angles.
spidergawd

Post by spidergawd »

Lovely write up and pictures Lem, thank you. It was the ACD 420 happenings that really made it a blast and a memorable time for me and the rest of the crew who love to visit amsterdam and get high. Epic. :D :mrgreen:
What a long strange trip it is.
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Thanks for the encouraging words everyone. Well done Macky for organising our biggest boat trip ever.
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Day 5 coming very soon.