Air B&B

Accommodation related topics.
matty223

Air B&B

Post by matty223 »

Hey guys it finally happened looks like prices for apartment will be going up. http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2016 ... erdam.html
Last edited by matty223 on Thu 1st Dec 2016 06:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gromit

Re: Air B&B

Post by gromit »

pretty soon the hotels will squash the little guy and it will go underground or black market,...
notsofasteddie

Post by notsofasteddie »

Airbnb, Amsterdam reach new deal to block illegal hotels

By Janene Pieters
December 1, 2016

Amsterdam and Airbnb reached a new deal that is aimed at promoting "responsible and sustainable home sharing" and combating illegal hotels, the municipality of Amsterdam announced in a press conference. New measures in the rules include an automatic tracker on Airbnb that keeps track of how many days a home was rented out and Airbnb automatically removing troublemakers' ads from its site.

According to Amsterdam's rules, residents are allowed to rent out their homes or part of their homes to tourists, but only under strict conditions. For example, a home may not be rented out for more than 60 days a year or to more than four people at once. Airbnb will soon introduce an automated tool that will keep track of the number of days a home has been rented out. If 60 days is reached, the ad will be removed from the home sharing site, unless the owner can show he has a proper license.

A new neighbor tool will also be launched where all Amsterdam residents can share their concerns about a listing, such as noise complaints. Amsterdam is establishing a 24/7 hotline for complaints as well. The city and the home sharing site will also begin a joint campaign to make residents and guests aware of local rules and how to be a good guest in Amsterdam.

"A home should remain a home. This new agreement is in the interest of everyone in Amsterdam - residents, neighbors, home sharers and guests", housing alderman Laurens Ivens said in the press release. "With this new approach we are showing that working together with platforms such as Airbnb gives the city a new and efficient weapon to tackle illegal hotels."

"Amsterdam is a world leader for the sharing economy and is a special cit for Airbnb", said James McClure, Airbnb general manager fo Northern Europe. "We want to be good partners for everyone in the city and ensure home sharing grows responsibly and sustainably. The new measures are an example to the world and demonstrate the positive results that can be achieved when policymakers and Airbnb work together on our shared goals of making cities better places to live, work and visit."

nltimes
matty223

Post by matty223 »

Its your home yet the government tell you what you can and can not do withit

Matty TSA
spidergawd

Post by spidergawd »

I hope they introduce the same rules in London. There is often a downside to this in terms of neighbors. Airb&b has taken off in my area so suddenly the next door or upstairs apartment hosts weekend stag or hen parties. Or just lots of strangers in and out, I live an in area with its share of urban crime. The scam of getting social housing and letting it out. Also landlords have been evicting long term tenants, settled residents with children in schools, booted because they can make more money b&b ing. :evil: :mrgreen:
What a long strange trip it is.
worldcitizen1723

Post by worldcitizen1723 »

air b&b came in and just fucked up the entire underground apartment rentals that had been going on quietly for decades...not only in Amsterdam, but everwhere in the world.... makes me very angry
Fat_old_dwarf

Post by Fat_old_dwarf »

How did the private rentals market work, then? And why doesn't it still go on in whatever way it did?

I was once offered a room for two – not particularly cheap, in comparison with legit hotels – and I remember the touts who used to hang out at Centraal Station, but I'd always assumed they worked for actual hotels, albeit scruffy ones. There's no guarantee for either party with this sort of thing, which makes me wary of it. But how did people get in touch?
worldcitizen1723

Post by worldcitizen1723 »

Fat_old_dwarf wrote:How did the private rentals market work, then? And why doesn't it still go on in whatever way it did?

I was once offered a room for two – not particularly cheap, in comparison with legit hotels – and I remember the touts who used to hang out at Centraal Station, but I'd always assumed they worked for actual hotels, albeit scruffy ones. There's no guarantee for either party with this sort of thing, which makes me wary of it. But how did people get in touch?
there were just dozens of websites that were not splashy but had wonderful apartments for really reasonable prices. Most all of these websites have been bought out or no longer exist because of the behomoth air b$b. It was quiet and discreet transactions.

But on the other hand I am glad Amsterdam is cracking down - I have been fearful it will become another venice --- a dead city only there for tourists.