Spammers are Back!

Suggestions, complaints and news about coffeeshopdirect.com
spidergawd

Re: Spammers are Back!

Post by spidergawd »

/\/\ I agree.

I dont understand the machinery of forums, can mods remove and place posts in a sin bin for moderation by other mods, to be deleted or reinstated as needed ? How does it work.
I'm always aware that this isn't a "commercial" site and it's not being run for profit so for that reason and because it's a great place, it must be looked after without making it innacessible. If that requires some software costs then the shiny smiley (top of the page on the right) needs some attention folks. :D

What a long strange trip it is.
Slip & Sal

Post by Slip & Sal »

let Matty be a site moderator.
I don't take drugs, I am Drugs.
Smirks

Post by Smirks »

Matty and Spidergawd mods please
treetop

Post by treetop »

I don't know if 'mod' is the right word as I don't like the idea of peoples posts being moderated for any reason besides spamming.
Posts in the wrong forum can always be moved. Simple housekeeping really.

I don't want to see mods making judgements based upon their own values on posts. Just removal/prevention of spam.
So, as long as that brief is followed what is the problem with having more folks who can nuke spam?
How much did you produce?
USbongLord

Post by USbongLord »

It'll be abused...no more mods...
rockin into the night
Old Timer

Post by Old Timer »

https://www.coffeeshopdirect.com/forum/viewt ... =5&t=28446
Doesn't matter what they're called, but the site needs to be monitored more regularly.
Lemming, if you don't have the time, appoint some others to help.
You can always reverse it if you feel people abuse the rights you grant them.
Please do something this time before it gets out of hand.
Colino

Post by Colino »

treetop wrote:I don't know if 'mod' is the right word as I don't like the idea of peoples posts being moderated for any reason besides spamming.
Posts in the wrong forum can always be moved. Simple housekeeping really.

I don't want to see mods making judgements based upon their own values on posts. Just removal/prevention of spam.
So, as long as that brief is followed what is the problem with having more folks who can nuke spam?
stright to the point, totally agree. matty and spidergawd are 2 excellent candidates imo
Smirks

Post by Smirks »

Precisely. If it's abused they will be removed. Not a reason for no more mods. Agree these would just be for spam pruning and moving. Leave the editorial decisions to others.
banshee beat

Post by banshee beat »

I think the title spam warriors would be more relevant than mods but yeah a couple more would be great. The last spam attack got out of hand and this will too but if there are people who are here everyday and willing to do so, what possible reason could there be to not get a bit of reenforcement?
Off is the new on
Adamster

Post by Adamster »

I ate spam once , I hate spam since :x
USBONGLORD wrote:It'll be abused...no more mods...
I concur for once whit you :roll:
Slip & Sal wrote:let Matty be a site moderator.
Why? So he can delete people he don't like also ?? :wink:

I vote for cheesedab for next spam police :mrgreen:
dconstrukt

Post by dconstrukt »

for the millionth time.

stop being bumbling idiots.

its all done via software.

i posted EASY fixes earlier in this thread.

no one took the advice, mentioned anything or used it.

you can continue "discussing" it and end up with a thread 26 pages long while the spammers continue to pound the forum, or fix it.
treetop

Post by treetop »

dconstrukt wrote:for the millionth time.

stop being bumbling idiots.

its all done via software.

i posted EASY fixes earlier in this thread.

no one took the advice, mentioned anything or used it.

you can continue "discussing" it and end up with a thread 26 pages long while the spammers continue to pound the forum, or fix it.
The only person who can change anything is Lemming and he is not responding. This thread seems to be mainly an outpouring of frustration anyway.

Balou posted this about it. - 'Lemming and Slimline are the only admins on this site giving them access to moderate all forums as well as activate members. The members that are moderators are only able to delete and lock post in the off topic section only. Obviously Lemming has decide that he doesn't want to give a member admin rights which is what you all are asking for.'
How much did you produce?
Not_the_monk

Post by Not_the_monk »

He just isn't correct with that though Treetop. https://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/phpbb3-permissions/

Not even to go into all the different limits it is possible to set within those groups, but it is quite easy to specify forum or global moderation, and the latter is fundamentally different from global administration. The difference between moderation and administration access is huge. Lemming has simply chosen not to have global moderators for whatever reason, them having admin access is not the problem.

dconstrukt is right, there are a number of ways this problem can be addressed, and I've been pointing them out each time this problem has escalated recently. One or two things were done after the HTCC spamageddon but not enough to last imo. There are a number of additional anti-spam phpBB modifications that could be tried at a software level. Or you can use manual admin validation if anyone is active enough. Or you can change the question & answer set on registration regularly, looks this was done in November but I'd do it at a max monthly given how vulnerable this site has been. Really all these should be done especially if we're not going to have some active people with proper moderator powers. Though not having that is just crazy and I wish people wouldn't be silly about it.

Go to any large gathering, like a festival or a sporting event say, and you get stewards, first aiders, security, people cleaning up and emptying the bins. Those people are necessary, helpful and a good thing. Unless you're being a complete dick of course. An internet forum is no different. The owner / admin sets the boundaries and mods are there to maintain those and keep everything running how they've been told. On this site Lemming obviously would only want mods to remove spam and move posts if in the wrong forum. Plus possibly just being available if a member needs help with something. So that's all they'd do.

Moderating on the internet really doesn't make you feel big or special if you are more than 12 years old, most of the time its just a bit of a pain in the ass. But if your role is purely to deal with spam then that's just easy and there's no reason to take it beyond that, but if that's not enough just have them move posts to a hidden forum for review rather than deleting them, create a sinbinned user group rather than letting them ban people, christ there's all sorts of ways. It is not giving someone power, it is just letting them help out in a way that is really needed.

Given that the alternative approach led to the utter destruction of the site during the busiest week of the year and the site having to be hacked to fix it I think any apparent fear of someone basically just having a couple of extra buttons on their forum page is absurd.
Old Timer

Post by Old Timer »

https://www.coffeeshopdirect.com/forum/viewt ... =6&t=28455
Got the feeling that lemming couldn't give a shit anymore anyway.
No other logical reason not to ensure a more secure forum.
Cisco

Post by Cisco »

Please promote peeps to spam removers Lem , we need sheriffs in this place (not mods as such jus peeps with the power to remove the shit) and of course why not use the tools available to stop spammers ?! It's madness
-