Updates

Suggestions, complaints and news about coffeeshopdirect.com
Lemming
Site Admin

Updates

Post by Lemming »

I've done some long-overdue updates to the main site and map. So far I've marked several shops as closed and renamed some. I'll regenerate the mega-map soon.

It strikes me now that we've lost so many shops around the centre that I should be able to get most or all of the remaining ones on the main map. I'm thinking of removing the greyed-out ones and fitting in a few more survivors.

With that in mind, can you confirm what's left?

For instance, I suspect there are none left on Warmoesstraat at all any more. Do you know what became of Het Oerwoud or the Hunter's that used to be The Coin?

What's the state of play on Lange Niezel? Last time I was there two had become smokers bars but three coffeeshops were hanging on. Do you know whether they're still going and whether their future is secure?

As far as I know all of the shops along Damstraat through to Oude Hoogstraat have gone. Is that right?

Babylon was still there last year. Is that still going and safe from the axe?

I believe Blues Brothers has gone but what about Route 99 (ex. The Wall) opposite Prix d'Ami?

Double Reggae became a bar and Freeworld was closed last time I was there. Do you know if that's also lost?

I should get a chance to do some more research when I visit in April but any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

swizzy

Re: Updates

Post by swizzy »

Will try my utmost to help when there
trips to Amsterdam 19
hulldj

Post by hulldj »

Babylon is the only one left in the area as we found out in January. Waarmeostraat has no coffeeshops left.

Prix Dami is still open but Route 99/66 closed quite a while ago. I think Cisco mentioned it in an old TR or someone did on the directory page. I recollect something about a note being left on the window with a telephone number to call.
Live.. Love... Laugh and dance more. Stay safe ACD
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Thanks HullDJ. Look forward to it Swizzy.

So Warmoesstraat completely gone but Babylon still alive.

How about The Bassment and the Lange Niezel set: Twilight Zone, Highway and Freeland? Anyone know the state of them?
Papi

Post by Papi »

Freeworld is gone. There's something called "freeworld experience" at the same spot. Not a CS.
Edibles on a plane is my middle fucking name
notsofasteddie

Post by notsofasteddie »

With all the deletions, surely there is room for an addition. I'm thinking about New Times at 260 Spuistraat. Many of us have been there and I would venture to say that the experience was very positive in all respects. They handled a "whitey" that a 1st Timer friend of mine pulled back in 2013 with skill and compassion. So here's my nomination for an addition to the map.

New Times
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

New Times is definitely a candidate. In fact, if possible, I'd like to get all of the remaining shops onto the map. I'm just trying to make sure that my database is up-to-date first.

In particular I'm still keen to know the status of The Bassment and the Lange Niezel set: Twilight Zone, Highway and Freeland.

Also High Time on Wijde Kerksteeg. I suspect that might have been lost but I haven't heard that it's gone and it was refurbished quite recently, which one wouldn't have thought they'd have bothered with if they knew they were doomed.

More info please.
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

I should read my own forum shouldn't I :oops:

I see that Monster420 has answered many of my questions here.

This seems to suggest that the Lange Niezel shops have indeed all gone. It also mentions High Time but I think that might be the Jan van Galenstraat one rather than the Wijde Kerksteeg one because I read elsewhere that that had closed.

So I still don't know about High Time on Wijde Kerksteeg or The Bassment under the Red Light Bar on Oudezijds Achterburgwal.
Not_the_monk

Post by Not_the_monk »

The way its going you'll have room for every shop in the city on a map that size sooner or later :(
Lemming wrote:I should read my own forum shouldn't I :oops:

I see that Monster420 has answered many of my questions here.

This seems to suggest that the Lange Niezel shops have indeed all gone. It also mentions High Time but I think that might be the Jan van Galenstraat one rather than the Wijde Kerksteeg one because I read elsewhere that that had closed.

So I still don't know about High Time on Wijde Kerksteeg or The Bassment under the Red Light Bar on Oudezijds Achterburgwal.
High Time on Jan van Galenstraat is in the final list of school closures (with the likes of Utopia) due for June 2016, so unless it closed early I'd suggest he probably was referring to Wijde Kerksteeg?

A couple more around the city you might want to look at...
- Biba on Hazenstraat was always listed in the phase 2 school closures, not been past since but will check in a couple of weeks
- Not on the map but Roxy on Gerard Doustraat was closed due to this - http://www.nltimes.nl/2015/11/25/survei ... -shooting/
- There was also apparently another shooting at an unnamed one on Krugerstraat which I presume must have been Nachtegaal, they don't seem to survive any incidents like this if it was.

I can recall reading info and deleting a couple more in recent months from my personal map that I noticed at the time were still open in the directory, but being a stoner can't recall which ones. :o

There's been that many lost and more going all the time that perhaps we should arrange a collaborative effort to try to reverify as many of the more random ones as possible? Unfortunately it wouldn't even be such an unmanageable list as it once would have been. I'm intending on checking a few suspects out in more off-track areas next month anyway.