Dollars and Euros

Post tips here on how to join, how to post pictures, etc.
BeachBUD

Dollars and Euros

Post by BeachBUD »

I read a bunch of old comments via search, but never got some of the info... The thread on pounds did not seem to apply. Other info I found was fragmented and muddled. And yes, I read Ho w not to get hit by a bike, but it is 8 years old.

What should I do about converting US dollars to Euros? At the airport or in town? Bank or moneychanger? Travellers checks or bank cards? What about credit cards, do most places take Visa/MC and should I just let the CC company do the conversion?

Assuming the airpost is a bad idea, how much should I convert to get me to town and the hotel?

If someone would give me a step A, step B thing, that would be wonderful.

First Trip Sept1-Sept8, 2011
Balou

Re: Dollars and Euros

Post by Balou »

Your best option is to use an ATM and withdraw the euros needed. The most you can withdraw in a day is the euro equivalent to your daily limit, which you can raise. Typically you pay a little over the interbank rate, the number you see on the news. The Dutch ATM's don't charge any fees but your bank might. Also, notify your bank that you'll be travelingso they don't block your card. Most tourist places will accept credit cards but not nearly like here in the US. Travelers checks are okay for a backup but would not rely on them in Amsterdam. If you do have to change dollars at the airport wait until after you clear customs. There are several exchange places so simply pick the one with the best rate.

Peace
Are you stoned? Like a gravel road bitch, like a gravel road!
BeachBUD

Re: Dollars and Euros

Post by BeachBUD »

Thanks
First Trip Sept1-Sept8, 2011