Train from Schiphol to Central

Getting there and getting around.
HashyH

Train from Schiphol to Central

Post by HashyH »

I've taken this train many times but have never sussed out how to get from airport to train platform without queuing at a ticket office for ages.
Just tried buying one via the NS Reisplanner app but they only accept card payments from Dutch bank accounts.
Does anybody know whether the self service machines in the station accept Visa?

Cookie

Re: Train from Schiphol to Central

Post by Cookie »

Yeah you can use the machines or buy online. I use B Europe to buy online in advance
Just a chick counting the days to her next trip...
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

HashyH wrote: Sat 2nd Dec 2017 12:45 pm I've taken this train many times but have never sussed out how to get from airport to train platform without queuing at a ticket office for ages.
Just tried buying one via the NS Reisplanner app but they only accept card payments from Dutch bank accounts.
Does anybody know whether the self service machines in the station accept Visa?
They accept Visa at the machines but charge 50 cent to use Visa so you pay €5.70 instead of €5.20. Some of the machines also take coins. I always make sure I've enough change, though I'm coming from another Eurozone country so that makes that easier.
Bring back Imelda Marcos!
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

Cookie wrote: Sat 2nd Dec 2017 02:23 pm Yeah you can use the machines or buy online. I use B Europe to buy online in advance
Had a look at B-Europe, they are €5.40, so they cream 20 cent to do the booking, not bad considering it saves queuing at the machines and queues can be long at times though you seem to have to pick the train time, which isn't great if you get in earlier or later than expected.
Last edited by RoMoney on Sat 2nd Dec 2017 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bring back Imelda Marcos!
HashyH

Post by HashyH »

Had a look before, nice one.
ed the head
Location: New Amsterdam of my mind and of my making. Trips:3, Haj:14

Post by ed the head »

:mrgreen:
He who tries to shine dims his own light
zlw

Post by zlw »

HashyH wrote: Sat 2nd Dec 2017 12:45 pm I've taken this train many times
well, you also plan to take it many many more times I guess? :D then it's best to buy their OV chipcard, charge it once with some money and then everytime go straight from plane to the train :mrgreen:

just run, run for all the goodies
RoMoney wrote: Sat 2nd Dec 2017 10:48 pm though you seem to have to pick the train time
that would be very strange because all dutch train tickets are for a whole day, not specific train.
even if you're switching trains to go somewhere else then just Centraal, you're still paying for a route from A-B, not specific combination of trains.
The Stoned Shaman

Post by The Stoned Shaman »

I’ve used the B-Europe app and yes I can confirm you have to pick times you are going to be using the trains, but the few times I have been out the time window I have still had no problem going through ticket barriers using later or earlier trains.