Re: F1 2017

Post by Darth Vapour »

F1 Pre Season 2017 Report - Development Special

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9eZbiuqCE4

Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

tinky wrote: Thu 16th Mar 2017 12:17 pmInformal talks between McLaren and Mercedes over possible engine supply
Surely that would have to be for next year if Honda don't get their act together. Changing engines mid-season would be too difficult wouldn't it?

I think Honda pay a lot of Alonso's salary and generally sponsor the team. It looks like Catch 22 really. If they stick with Honda and they continue to be rubbish then they'll struggle to get a major sponsor for next year and without a sponsor they can't afford to drop Honda.

Less than a week now until we find out the real pecking order, who's been showboating and who's been sandbagging.

It looks like it's still all about the engines. Any gains that Ferrari have made seem to be mostly in the engine. Renault thought they'd made a big step but maybe not as big as Merc and Ferrari and they've all left Honda behind.

My guess is that Merc are still out front but Ferrari might have overtaken Red Bull. I'd love to see Williams forth or, better still, racing Red Bull.

Williams should have a good budget after the deals they've done around Bottas and Stroll, they've got Paddy Lowe and a Merc engine. The only thing they seem to lack is top flight drivers.

So, will Lewis Hamilton win the championship and then retire? Will Valtteri Bottas put up a good fight or just be Hamilton's wingman?
tinky

Post by tinky »

Yes Honda pay most if not all Alonso salary. McLaren have no title headline sponsor as such. Buying out of contract would be very expensive but as they almost entirly owned by money men from the UAE it wouldn't be that costly in there terms of wealth also then be ble to attract more sponsorship while there is a guarantee of performance and reliability.

McLaren in 2018 with reliability,performance may just be enough to keep Alonso happy during what is pretty much going to be another painful year for team and driver.

Hamilton for the win again. Bottas while never formally announced as number 2 driver , I think that's what he will be. Hamiltons media ,marketing presence and value should not be under estimated. Would love to see a strong Ferrari challenge from both their drivers be good to see them mixing the front of the grid up. Less than a week to get some idea.
gromit

Post by gromit »

just watched the movie RUSH,...great car racing movie,... 8)
tinky

Post by tinky »

gromit wrote: Tue 21st Mar 2017 06:09 pm just watched the movie RUSH,...great car racing movie,... 8)
:thumbup:
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Looks like the pointers from testing were about right.

Ferrari have made a big step. Haas didn't finish but Grosjean's qualifying still suggested to me that it's Ferrari's engine, rather than weird bargeboards and sidepods, that's giving them the boost.

I reckon Ferrari were involved somewhere in that last minute Wehrlein sicknote and Giovinazzi substitution. Wehrlein is connected with Mercedes and Sauber have old Ferrari engines.

Whatever, intentionally or not, Ferrari now have a great backup plan if Kimi fails to deliver. Giovinazzi was a revelation! Personally, I'd much prefer to see Kimi winning than Vettel but he was a bit poor in Australia. Will they even wait until next year to replace the Finn with the Italian?

Great drive by Alonso and McHonda weren't quite as embarrassing as they might have been. They still have to get those engines to last four more races or something before they can be considered reliable enough to make it through the year though.

Williams do seem to have the fourth fastest car but they only have one of them when everyone else has two. Maybe Alonso can offer to drive a Williams for free for the remainder of the season if Honda and Stroll are still hopeless by summer.
KeyMonCha

Post by KeyMonCha »

Fernando Alonso to miss Monaco GP to race at Indy 500

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12479/ ... t-indy-500

A little strange, at least considering Monaco is the one place the under-powered Mclaren might stand a chance of a decent points finish, but at least there's a chance we might see Jenson come back for a weekend.... Doesn't bode well for Alonso's F1 future, though... Guessing he's already given up on this years car, and maybe next years too.
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Yeah, didn't see that coming. McLaren and Honda are involved in this Indy 500 bid, apparently, and they're going for the win!

I've read rumours that Honda are throwing everything at another new F1 engine, even bringing in outside experts, possibly including Mario Illien.

Great drive by Alonso again in China, I thought, although he was a bit keen on congratulating himself.

Ferrari are putting up a surprising challenge but don't seem entirely united. Red Bull are looking serious but it still feels most likely to me that Hammy and Merc will be ahead at the end.

That being the case then maybe Ron Denis's prediction that McHonda would be the team to finally break Merc's run, is still possible. :o

Giovinazzi went from hero in Oz to zero in China and now Wehrlein is coming back. All smells of Ferrari interference to me. Somehow connected with their strange relationship with Kimi maybe.
KeyMonCha

Post by KeyMonCha »

Alonso IndyCar Test On YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXh9uxthFnk
Drugsbunny

Post by Drugsbunny »

Its F1 weekend in Canada.

Practice starts today, the race should be interesting between the top 3 teams.

Could this be the final curtain for Mchonda?

Db
Herb!
Take happiness with the heartache, go through life wearing a smile.
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Sainz Renault Renault McLaren Honda Toro Rosso Renault to drop Red Bull in 2019.