Looking before buying

General discussion about cannabis and coffeeshops.
James420

Looking before buying

Post by James420 »

I've never asked to smell and look at the weed before buying as most budtenders (when I've been there) are moody. One budtender shouted at me because some random person passed me the menu when they were finished with it. The budtender snatched it off me and said NO you ask me for it and gave me a little lecture then he laughed at his pal behind the desk. Anyway do budtenders get angry or annoyed if you ask to smell/look at different strains? Btw the worst experience I've had was at dampkring and best at old amsterdam/grey area.

FlyByNite

Re: Looking before buying

Post by FlyByNite »

Look at what BlueBerry gets them to do.

Enjoy
FlyByNite
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

Never had any problems personally - but I do see budtemders getting tetchy with younger customers sometimes.

Primarily I think that’s because younger people often have a tendency to grunt demands to see tubs without so much as a hello, how are you? Then go on to complain about the size of buds and ask ‘can I get...” without a please and thank you.

It might sound petty but the Dutch are big on manners. Mind your P’s and Q’s, behave like an adult and indulge in some common courtesy abs you’ll find your Coffeeshop experiences smoother.
WLow

Post by WLow »

Being polite and friendly works good, even just having a smile.

But you have to admit that there is more and more young budtenders behind the counter, generally unexperienced, they come from all over europe to live in amsterdam and they not really care about what they do, sometimes totally wrecked to work, usually you don't see them working for long.

The better shops have actual real good budtenders, they know what customers want and know their jobs.
If you encounter a grumpy bt, even bein friendly with him just walk out of the shop.
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

WLow wrote: Wed 4th Apr 2018 12:36 pm Being polite and friendly works good, even just having a smile.

But you have to admit that there is more and more young budtenders behind the counter, generally unexperienced, they come from all over europe to live in amsterdam and they not really care about what they do, sometimes totally wrecked to work, usually you don't see them working for long.

The better shops have actual real good budtenders, they know what customers want and know their jobs.
If you encounter a grumpy bt, even bein friendly with him just walk out of the shop.
+1
James420

Post by James420 »

Thanks for the replies. Not sure if the young thing was aimed at me on the first post but I'm afraid I'm 38... although I do wish I was young again. Yes I've only been to around 8 coffee shops and 6 of them I've had things like the budtender snatching menu off me because some random person passed it to me waiting behind them to a (woman) budtender ignoring me whilst serving customers behind me because I was wearing a red t shirt and she doesn't like red, probably one of the weirdest moments of my life but it was funny i suppose. Also remember being a little stoned in a coffee shop and when I left I bought a little more for my journey home, as I was putting away my wallet in my pocket I noticed the 3g of weed had gone off the counter. Luckily my friend noticed the budtender take it away and my friend said he saw him do it, the budtender laughed and said ahhh just a joke. Best place I've been to like I said is old Amsterdam and grey area. Both places the budtender was great and showed me different types of strains they had without me asking... even rolled a joint for me without asking.
Junglist Movement

Post by Junglist Movement »

If if get any attitude I deem out of order or just plain rude I inform them of it, wave the €100 Euro I was likely to spend in their face and walk out. If there was a senior staff member there i make sure they see the exchange. Sullen attitudes I can except... just outright ignorance is something I can't abide. Dutch or not I expect at the very least a rudimentary level of courtesy.

Don't let it get to you man.
2stick

Post by 2stick »

Junglist Movement wrote: Wed 4th Apr 2018 05:19 pm If if get any attitude I deem out of order or just plain rude I inform them of it, wave the €100 Euro I was likely to spend in their face and walk out. If there was a senior staff member there i make sure they see the exchange. Sullen attitudes I can except... just outright ignorance is something I can't abide. Dutch or not I expect at the very least a rudimentary level of courtesy.

Don't let it get to you man.
There is the rude attitude from you too, sorry to say.. but I think Gandhi said it already, an eye for an eye, makes the whole world blind. If they treat you bad, there is no need for you to do the same. Just walk on, don't let them rain on your days, yhose are YOUR DAYS, you want to remember the bad things, or the good times? You know that it has not been the last place to find things to enjoy. Karma, that should do its thing when push comes shove. Free business consulting is for those without proper skills.
Junglist Movement

Post by Junglist Movement »

Na its cool I get your point man and I'm not going to fully disagree with it. It is a rude thing to do but I think a legit lesson in customer service (which is some part of my work) would be equally as patronising. I know I don't like hearing it! I should have just walked off and ended the transaction.

I'll admit it happened only once when I was actually shouted at for asking to inspect a number of tubs. Not a smart remark mind but an actual shouting at. Smart remarks I can handle, they often have an undernote of humour. I was shocked and in my stoned haze felt threatened.

So an eye for an eye would indeed make the whole world blind. But an eye for a kick in the nutsack won't. He was aggressive, i was a smug smart arse. I still realise however my actions didn't make me the bigger man in this situation.
macky

Post by macky »

I fine doing Roman soilder thing in CS ,cheese store ,AH works best.
There,s Know pushing the Dutch ,stand quiet and wait till they get to you .
When they get to you look them in the eye and say a nice greeting (there is really a Dutch service thing ,work to live don,t live to work)
Best example ,go to Hoope across from Tweede Karmmer and try to push for a quick beer .
Hint..old bartenders will ignore you till you leave or your the very last one served.
When in Rome :D
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

macky wrote: Thu 5th Apr 2018 04:07 pm Best example ,go to Hoope across from Tweede Karmmer and try to push for a quick beer .
Hint..old bartenders will ignore you till you leave or your the very last one served.
When in Rome :D
I know it makes me something of an arsehole - but I quite admire this about the Dutch (and most of mainland Europe in fact) as it's at least a practice that comes with the assumptive agreement of common courtesy and mutual respect. The Brits do it too - we're just not brave enough to admit it - which is less easy to respect.
LLMReb

Post by LLMReb »

I figure I’ll experience a poor exchange one day, but thus far closest I got was Paradox. It is in a trip report, but something like my bill was 11 euros, I had a 20 and a 1, so gave her 21, expecting a 10 in return. She looked at me said something to those two older men who ALWAYS seem to be sitting at the counter to the right, they laughed at me like i was too stupid to know how to pay, so she gave back my 1, then gave me a 5 and 4 coins of a 1. I told her that i didn’t want more coins, and asked those old men if they still thought it was funny b/c i wanted a 10 and not more coins. They just looked down. Female BT then commented that they don’t make change. I started to explain i wasnt asking her to make change, then figured it wasn’t worth it.

Keep in mind they are BT and not in professional service industry where you are paying for top quality service. You are buying weed. I am generally happy, smile, try to strike up a simple conversation, be respectful if there are other patrons waiting, then make an informed decision. Just don’t ask them to “make change”. :lol:
Mandoist

Post by Mandoist »

Like any business these days -- employees are not always (hardly ever?) thinkers. Too many small, dumpy c'shops exist these days. Too many major city shops don't give a hit. Too many owners are not onsite to regulate how employees interact with customers.

Too many shops simply don't give a s**t about the customer, nor the product.

When you have a genuine nasty experience -- don't give them your €€ ever again.
Tell your friends and report to all of us via these forums.

There are too many decent c'shops to have to tolerate any BS from the nitwits in town.
Losing paying customers is the only thing some of these bad places will ever understand.
Mandoist

Post by Mandoist »

LLMReb wrote: Wed 11th Apr 2018 03:28 am I figure I’ll experience a poor exchange one day, but thus far closest I got was Paradox. It is in a trip report, but something like my bill was 11 euros, I had a 20 and a 1, so gave her 21, expecting a 10 in return. She looked at me said something to those two older men who ALWAYS seem to be sitting at the counter to the right, they laughed at me like i was too stupid to know how to pay, so she gave back my 1, then gave me a 5 and 4 coins of a 1.
No doubt she is not a college graduate. You more than likely confused her and she didn't know what to do with the extra €.