How do you store your flowers?

General discussion about cannabis and coffeeshops.
LLMReb

How do you store your flowers?

Post by LLMReb »

I thought I read OHMF stating that he has some very good bud that he has saved for near 2 years (did I read that correctly)? I'm curious as to how you store your bud?

I keep mine in a small glass jar with a sealed lid, then put it in the freezer. I'm not entirely sure if that method is the best method. At one time I kept it in an air tight OXO container, which was OK, but I was always concerned about mold in my super high humidity environment.

Any suggestions, comments, stories are much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Willjay

Re: How do you store your flowers?

Post by Willjay »

Glass jar in the freezer
www.stopthedrugwar.org
www.mpp.org
www.drugpolicy.org
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

Personally I wouldn’t freeze cannabis - it’s succeptible to the same kind of cellular breakdown of any vegetables frozen for long periods.

Also. Freezing stops the curing process which can bring out new flavours and effects (primarily more relaxant) through oxidation of cannabinoids.

Plus - on a personal level: Dry product is best for vaping.

My method for long term storage is glass screw top (not clasp style) wide mouth mason jars kept in a cold and 100% dark space. They’re moved only to ‘burp’ during initial drying until 10-15% humidity is acheived (tested via rosin pressing) then kept perfectly still (to avoid trichome loss) unless I’m transferring an amount to a personal pot for consumption.

Concentrates are kept refrigerated at all times

Yes I’m anal.
*edit* Oh and sorry Reb - yep you read that correctly. I've sucessfully stored flowers for 2yrs. Not all strains keep that that well in terms of retaining flavour. I think some terpene profiles are more volatile at room temperatures than others. Anything you can smell is essentially 'off-gassing' and therefore could be considered 'degredation' of aroma.
LLMReb

Post by LLMReb »

OHMF - what do you call 'cold'?

Most people reading this thread probably wonder why anyone needs to store anything for a long period. Keep in mind I'm in a state of the US where weed is few and far between for me to find, so when I get it, I must get as much as possible and make it last as long as possible b/c I don't know the next time I'm getting another order. Little things like storage are important. For example, the last batch I was able to get was back in June, and it is a bit weaker than the outdoor Thai I had in AMS during my last visit. Eh, it is what it is here in no weed land.

I have noticed that the freezer really damages the bud when I have to store it for long periods, so I appreciate your input, OHMF, to confirm my suspicions that freezers are more harm over the long-run than good. My weed has become a bit, hmm, gummy, I'd say is a good descriptive adjective, after so much time in the freezer.
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

LLMReb wrote: Tue 9th Oct 2018 10:01 pm OHMF - what do you call 'cold'?
Ideally - lower than room temperature 21°C / 70°F. But I guess you have to work with what you have.

If you're in a hotter climate, I'd probably plump for some nice storage jars like the C-vaults - with a humidor pack to keep product from drying out too far and kept in the basement - or near an AC outlet.

The 62 or 65% humidity packs work great - although I'd probably stay away from the Boveda brand as one independent study showed that they off-gassed a small amount of Acetone over time. The Integra-boost range (available on Amazon) faired better in the test. If I'm keeping product with these packs - I'll normally get a bud out and let it air cure for an hour or so - letting it crisp up before consumption.

I'm experimenting with not using them at all at the moment just to see what I think about completely dry product kept for extended periods.