Smokey on Rembrandtplein

Comments on specific shops. Use search to find the topic for a shop.

Rate Smokey

I like Smokey
24%
I don't like Smokey
76%

Total votes: 71

amsterdam lover

Post by amsterdam lover »

i think this is the first coffee shop i ever entered years ago and i remeber the jamacian to be really good but the man behind the counter was a right grumpy old f*!!....

aciiiiiiiid!!!
Mr Oranje

Post by Mr Oranje »

Munch Bunch Summary

A large bouncer normally awaits your arrival at the entrance of Club Smokey coffee shop mainly to keep away any of the drunken buffoons from surrounding areas. As you walk into the darkened room only lit only by pink and green neon signage you get a feeling of warmness enter your senses, as you know you are in a true Amsterdam coffee shop. The bar comprises of a long slender unit with drinks spread over the majority and a small cabinet at the bottom containing the drugs and merchandise for sale. On offer are normally around 7 different types of grass and hash. Although there are few choices the quality we have experienced here has always been above average. To counteract the lack of choice of drugs the shop does have a wide range of drinks from homemade smoothies to hot orange chocolate. The shop is usually quite popular and attendance is normally quite high, however this does not make the shop feel overcrowded. A large mirror at the back makes the area seem bigger. For entertainment there are 3 pool tables, one football table and 2 very random old school arcade games, of which one is Pacman and the other a multi game machine with Strip Match ‘Em Up…….

Around the shop are vast amounts of tables and seating all capable of seating around 8 people in each section. My fondest memory of this coffee shop would have to be when we were having a game of pool and our whit ball kept sticking in the bottom half of the table. We kept asking the lady at he bar to get it unstuck, due to her having a low cut top. Surprisingly she didn’t mind helping out us three strapping young lads.

The downside to this shop is the expense, as a very commercial shop like this entitles them to charge a lot more as the location, next to Waterlooplien Station and a kick ass cinema, guarantees good custom. Another downside is having the windows blacked out. While this creates a good atmosphere inside it does not allow you any views of the city. Other features that stick in our memories were the vending machines selling lighters, papers and various snack products.

Mr Oranje
:twisted:

More at [Amsterdam Rated]
http://www.CoffeeshopsRated.com - We have rated over 50 Coffeeshops now!!
amsterdam lover

Post by amsterdam lover »

thats another to add to my list :lol:
i always get the feel of an old traditional coffee house when i see neon lights outside as this is the first thing i saw on my 1st trip many years back
aciiiiiiiid!!!
turdhead

Post by turdhead »

I've never been, i would not even go with if you paid me to go.

I have no interest in entering a coffeeshop that has a bouncer on the door.

Add up all the reviews on the net.

Clearly stay away.

Sounds like a mugs coffeeshop
Spliphy

treated with respect

Post by Spliphy »

They kind of "fussed" over me the only time I went (they were just opening up and didn't have "things" together quite). Got some bud...forget what kind...wasn't outstanding by any means. Had a beer (this was 2005 visit I think).

I voted "yes" because they did all right by me, but would not go again since many other shops are so much better gear-wise along with nicer atmosphere.

When we were in the square in July this year, the statues of "The Night Watch" were gone :( ...what happened :?: I'm glad I took pictures of the scene of bronzes when I did :D
Fiber, food, medicine: cannabis, queen of plants
herbpharmer

2008 visit

Post by herbpharmer »

I went in shortly after they opened so nobody was really in the shop aside from staff and maybe a few people who knew them. It was almost dead silent so right away I was uncomfortable, plus the lighting is really weird and dark. It was like being in a dungeon. The wiet selection was very unimpressive. They only had a few boring, dry, outdoor strains (jamaican, thai, etc) and the prices were way too high. I couldn't have been in there for more than 2 minutes.

The only reason I wanted to check it out is because there's a picture of the outside in "The Big Book of Buds" :D
pazcat

Post by pazcat »

I went in there last time to check it out out of curiosity, it wasn't a totally awful experience but it seemed more like a pub to me. Don't get me wrong i love the fact i could get a beer but it was starting to be full of drunk noisy people who had clearly been there for a bit. Also the place was packed and the bar staff seemed pissed to be there and unfriendly, but maybe you can chalk that up to it being busy. The budtender on the other hand was freindly and much easier to deal with although overpriced.

In short i doubt i will be going back there but i guess anything is possible.
turdhead

Post by turdhead »

this places sounds worse every time, won't be visiting this time around :)

Infact, never will :P

All the forum users which half a brain know to stay away from SMOKEYS like the plague.
codejd

Post by codejd »

what an absolute shithole...we were drinking at a nearby pub so i slipped down there for a quick smoke...most of the weed were 2gram purchases and the cheapest pure pre-rolled was 8,50euro :shock: i sat down by the pool tables, rolled a spliff and quickly smoked it up while walking out the front door...never looked back, never will be back 8)
Donkey smell.
TwoCanucks

Re: Smokey on Rembrandtplein

Post by TwoCanucks »

Has the name changed? Is it now converting to La Porte D'Or?
Amsterdam dreaming.............
nuttygooner

Post by nuttygooner »

This place baffles me, it was the first Coffeeshop I ever went to about 10 years ago so I have mixed emotions about it. Its only in hindsight that I can realise what I thought about Smokey as at the time I was obviously excited and had, to be perfectly honest no idea about coffeshops. As it was my first trip to Amsterdam I had a hightened sense of guilt in Smokey's, as if I was doing something I shouldn't. At the time I put it down to it being an unusual experience to be able to buy and Smoke weed essentially in public, I realise now that it was the atmosphere that was the problem. The staff weren't particularly friendly and I think the Doorman made us feel intimidated. This is not a good combination when you are getting high and doesn't reflect what in my experience most coffeeshops are like. The weed as it turns out wasn't great, I got some Orange bud. I can still remember that after 10 years. At the time it seemed really good but again in hindsight I was inexperienced and only used to what I could get at home. I think a lot of 1st time Amsterdammers would get caught out and go here and I'm sure some really enjoy it. If it was trully awful I don't think it would still be open, but it does make me sad that some people will have this place and Grasshopper 2 as their representation of a coffeeshop.
someolddude

Post by someolddude »

Popped in here one night around 8 ish to have a look and was looking at there selections in a cabinet.girl behind the counter totally ingnored me.found it quite amusing when I saw there prices, would have expected the best customer service in the dam to pay what they were asking for there gear.
ganjoa

Post by ganjoa »

Smokey's 20 Nov 2011

We were walking through the Rembrantplein on the way to find a meal when the urge for a before-dinner smoke hit and we stopped by Smokey's for a quick purchase. I regret we didn't try any of the smoothies as those are highly recommended by some folks. Anyway, the prices weren't too bad and we really just looking for a pre-meal appetite enhancer. Pre-rolled "Buddah Cheese" joint at 10 euro. Space cake muffin at 8.50 euro. Not much effect from either one.

ganjoa
notsofasteddie

Post by notsofasteddie »

ganjoa wrote:Smokey's 20 Nov 2011

We were walking through the Rembrantplein on the way to find a meal when the urge for a before-dinner smoke hit and we stopped by Smokey's for a quick purchase. I regret we didn't try any of the smoothies as those are highly recommended by some folks. Anyway, the prices weren't too bad and we really just looking for a pre-meal appetite enhancer. Pre-rolled "Buddah Cheese" joint at 10 euro. Space cake muffin at 8.50 euro. Not much effect from either one.

ganjoa
No Bang; Big Bucks!! How Smokey can You Get!
FlyByNite

Post by FlyByNite »

New menu for an old shop but new to us, Smokey dated November 27, 2017. Thank you Mr Jonsen.

http://www.coffeeshopmenus.org/Smokey/Menus/Smokey.html

Enjoy
FlyByNite