De Kuil (420 Cafe)

Comments on specific shops. Use search to find the topic for a shop.

Rate De Kuil

I like De Kuil
93%
I don't like De Kuil
7%

Total votes: 297

zunkii

De Kuil (420 Cafe)

Post by zunkii »

ACD page: De Kuil (420 Cafe)

This shop is heaven. The staff are cool, even Greg (Captain Birdseye) the American dealer who can be grumpy at times. They sell beer and allow you to eat takeaways inside. The music is good and if I lived in this great city, this would be my regular spot.

Zunk

lctricity

Post by lctricity »

Great vibe in this shop. Very much like an American Bar scene with a usually tastey selection of rock music on the sound system.

Good reefer, a vaporizer, pool table and beers make for a great place and this place has all of them happening. I hear the Blueberry and Neville's Haze are rockin' as of late. We'll soon find out and report back.

Not to be missed.
Rici

Post by Rici »

Nice tunes, hard to get a seat. Had some sick Blueberry there during the Cup. There is also a great place to get munchies across the street.
TOKEandSMOKE

Post by TOKEandSMOKE »

ive been to amsterdam 3 times and each time ive visited this place,there sour deisel is one of the best ive tried.im goin back in september and ill defo go back again

p.s have a go of the vapourizer its an experiance
scooberu

Post by scooberu »

is this place called coffeeshop 420 now?
Valo

Post by Valo »

scooberu wrote:is this place called coffeeshop 420 now?
According to their website, they have changed their name

http://www.420cafe.com
~ Is that a grinder in your pocket? ~
TrippingOverGod

Post by TrippingOverGod »

Favourite coffeeshop in Dam bar none, especially if you're staying in a hotel on Damrak. Great place to get a morning latte, some Blueberry and enjoy the best music you'll hear in a coffeeshop in your entire visit (Zappa & Talking Heads often cropping up, much else too..). Pool table also welcome, and 2 great stoned cats (Max and an orange one who's name I have yet to discover).

Tends to get busy though, but afternoons are normally empty enough for comfort. Just about the only coffeeshop I would love to work in as well (and if anyone who can make that a reality is reading this, and you need someone with English as their mother tongue and about to learn Dutch anyway, please contact me).

Question for anyone who knows the answer - is the guy with the long beard the owner? Had a lengthy chat with him once but forgot his name.
cheech123

Post by cheech123 »

Yea this shop is now called 420 cafe. I stopped in there a countless amount of times. Great cold beer and descent selection of bud. Great place to chill especially at night time. Play some pool, smoke a phatty, and drink a big ass beer. Dealer is cool as shit and they always have 2 volcanos and 4 bags going at the same time in a rotation. I chilled in there every fuckin night lol. They also ALWAYS have extremely clean bongs ready to go with fresh water in them. Btw his name is Greg and I am pretty sure he does own 420. He is a really nice dude. Ask him for directions and he will not only tell you how but pull out a map and draw on there exactly how to get there lol.
KevLovesTheDam

Post by KevLovesTheDam »

This place is great. Anyone from the States will enjoy De Kuil because it feels so much like your local american bar, but with grass. The 420 Haze was wonderful, and the volcanos are always a nice change. To top it all off is that they serve alcohol. I would highly recomend this place if you are in the mood for a bar atmosphere, and the staff was very friendly every time we came.
bigjohn

Post by bigjohn »

Was already stoned on my first visit here, it was the 4th stop of the day. Very helpful budtender, took time to explain the buds in detail although he needn't have bothered cos' I never remembered a word of it :wink: Bought 1 gram Blueberry 7 Euros, Beautiful, lovely mellow stoned.

This was where I was going to get a lesson in the vapouriser, I have one at home but wanted to learn more about the different settings. Somebody was using both the vapes so I was waiting until they were free, they returned complaining that the mouth piece was dirty so the guy got out the rubbing alcohol & pipe cleaners and stripped and cleaned all the parts, because I had already had a few Beers I thought it may be time to check in at the hotel so we left to come back the next day.

Next afternoon we returned and he vaped me a quarter gram of Blueberry, at last, my first go of a volcano in Amsterdam, this next bit may sound familiar to joint smokers. When I was breathing back from the mouthpiece I inhaled some little pieces of weed, like you do when smoking a joint, only this shouldn't be happening with a volcano. I removed the mouthpiece and looked through it and it was filthy, absolutely disgusting. This put me off using a Volcano for the rest of the trip, i will take my own mouthpiece next time. :cry: Many people have mentioned taking their own mouthpieces to 'Dam, It's a must if you have one, either that or don't remove it and look through the tube :shock:

Other than that it's a good bar atmosphere
Boner

Post by Boner »

Spent quite a bit of time here the last 2 trips, nice weed, nice beer and nice staff, I lost myself on the Volcano one night hitting it with the white widow - woah!!
Being pedantic and knobbish since 1972
Lafe

Post by Lafe »

When I was breathing back from the mouthpiece I inhaled some little pieces of weed, like you do when smoking a joint, only this shouldn't be happening with a volcano. I removed the mouthpiece and looked through it and it was filthy, absolutely disgusting. This put me off using a Volcano for the rest of the trip, i will take my own mouthpiece next time.
Would it make sense to use your own bag as well? I have not used a Volcano (I have an I-Vape) and it's not clear to me exactly which bits one would want to keep "personal".

Looking at the web sites offering Volcano parts, is what they offer as a "Melitta Toppits oven hose" the actual filling bag?

And, is this the only bit that attaches to the mouthpiece?

Where locally in A'dam can these bits be purchased?

TIA
bigjohn

Post by bigjohn »

Lafe,

I do not think the bags are really an issue as they are changed quite regularly, although, when I saw the budtender cleaning all the mouthpieces the day before I would never had thought it would get so dirty so quickly. It is not the outside of the mouthpiece that gets dirty which is what I thought people were implying when they were talking about hygiene, that was not a problem, it was the inside of the tube where all the "vapor" travels through. I would expect the only part you would need is the mouthpiece, they are not cheap, approx 40/50 Euros. They are available in shops all over 'Dam.

To clear up, De Kuil is a great coffeeshop and I will be going again, only taking my own mouthpiece with me :)

John
Valo

Post by Valo »

I love this place - top 3 in my opinon (with Coin & Old Church) but John's comments did make me think. I found that on my recent trip, after a bag of (blueberry) weed I had a very tickly cough which lasted until I went home but especially noticed it smoking the volcano. Maybe because the tube was a little dirty?? Although it's certainly not uncommon for me to get a sore throat after a day or two smoking Amsterdam's finest, vapo or not!!

Oh well - definately hasn't put me off this place, as people also mentioned, it has great weed, friendly service and a super atmosphere. Can't wait to be back there!
~ Is that a grinder in your pocket? ~
CountZero

Post by CountZero »

4:20 was our home base from 3/10-3/14; first place we hit right by our hotel and then meeting point from there on out.
Staff was friendly and helpful for most of our visit. The place has a great bar/pub feel and accommodated our group of 12 perfectly with the big table in the back (where I assume the pool table was). Consistently good music if you are a classic rock fan. We had our first experience with the volcano for all of us and certainly not the last! I'll think twice about the mouthpiece now for sure though. With our first coffee shop visit being here and me the only one who's been to the Dam before, everyone bought pretty much everything off the menu so I got a pretty good taste test of all they had. Must say the NYC Diesel they had tops the list for me. I'll go into more detail in my travelogue about the others we tried.

There's one thing I want to say about 4:20 though after 3 days of really enjoying it. the American bud tender who looks like Mick Fleetwood almost ruined the totally positive vibe we got from this place. I'll be the first to say we were a large group of American tourists, most of whom are first timers to the Dam. BUT, we made an effort to be as mannerly as possible and tried to clean up after ourselves every visit. We also spent more money there in 3 days than most tourists in a month AND tipped as well. This place is still a business as far as I know. Long story short, Mick made a huge scene our last night there in front of the whole place over nothing I was aware of. He then felt the need to make more remarks to other patrons about us under his breath (though we could still hear him clear as day). Apparently it was close to closing time so he felt the need to say, "I don't have to be nice anymore!" So Mick was pretty much an asshole in sheep's clothing, just patronizing us and taking our money with a smile then cursing us behind our backs. It was very unfortunate because up to that point we had nothing but great things to say about the place. And don't get me wrong, it didn't come close to ruining the fabulous time I had, it was just unfortunate. Tip for Mick the Dick ... show your contempt rather than masking it with fake smiles and bad jokes. I'd have more respect for you in the end and would probably have spent less time writing about you and more about your menu.