Five time to the Dam(ned)

After (or during) your trip, post your report here.
Raoul_Duke

Five time to the Dam(ned)

Post by Raoul_Duke »

Arrived into Amsterdam Centraal around 2pm by train direct from London for the first time having visited via air the previous 4 visits. My first impression was 'WTF' as I was greeted outside by the misty kind of rain that gets you soaked quickly.

Power walking through the crowds to my hotel took about 15 minutes. The glorious smell of sweet Mary Jane in the air made me smile despite feeling like a drowned rat.

Once checked in went to get some food before planning what Coffeeshops to target. Decided on Grey Area as it was a short walk away and I was curious about silver bubble after recommendations on here.

Unfortunately they were sold out. Was offered an alternative option but decided to wait until Bagheera for the Lemon Bubble. Budtender was friendly. Didn't take a pic of the menu as it was busy and felt ushered out of the way. There were a few strains crossed out.

Decided to walk to 1e Hulp as for some reason I noted down they have Strawberry Cheesecake strain. A bloody long walk later (forgot how far it was) the budtender tells me they have never stocked Strawberry Cheesecake :roll: I'm given a smell test on different indicas and decide on 1g Wedding Crasher which I found out is a hybrid and usually more on sativa side. Get instant buyers remorse and wish I waited to try other CS. Was asked to pay by cash instead of card which I thought was strange but obliged. €10 for 1g. Didn't sit in to smoke but was half full. Looks more like a generic interior than what I remember from previous visits. Want to try and smoke in there on this trip but feel like I need to find a new favourite place.

Jump on a tram and head to Bagheera but first pop into Kokapelis where I've enjoyed a few pleasant shroom/truffle trips as well as smoking a joint in the trip area. Unfortunately told that no smoking or vaping is allowed in the trip area at the back of the store anymore and left feeling a bit deflated. With each visit it feels like a part of the Amsterdam I love has gone to just a memory.

Consider Hill Street Blues or Betty's Bar a few rows down to roll a jay and see what this bud is all about...but I'm more curious about the Lemon Bubble at Bagheera. 1g €11

Compared to other CS I passed on the walk, Bagheera is fairly empty so chill in there with a juice and roll a small Jay of lemon bubble.

It's a creeper. Didn't feel it after I'd put the joint out in the tray. A euphoric and uplifting high. The melancholy of leaving Kokapelis was gone replaced by the excitement of travel. Roll one more for the road which I end up also smoking at the table which is why I left forgetting to take a photo of the menu. Too buzzed. The euphoria was replaced by a bit of energy and also to escape the terrible RnB music on loud.

Perhaps joining a walking tour was a bit too ambitious for the energy I felt from smoke #2 and I longed to be in a lounge bar people watching from a window.

Lost in Amsterdam, Wonder Bar one and two were all really busy so I head to Siberie for the first time. Unfortunately no seats available. Head to the flying Dutchman but get side tracked by food. Feel exhausted and settle on a smoke walking back to hotel. Damn that Lemon Bubble is good. I regret not ordering a new vaporiser for this trip after my DaVinci IQ broke last year. Would taste so good in that.

Back at the hotel I grind most of the Lemon up and roll it into 4 joints for tomorrow. They are packed. More so than today's. Tomorrow is going to be interesting :lol:

As for the wedding crashers I got from 1e Hulp. I may try tomorrow. Or may have to. Not sure if it is wise taking any to Belgium with me on Saturday. If anyone is in town and wants to help me smoke it all feel free!

Did take a photo of my purchases but won't upload despite right size. Relying on hotel WiFi to access this forum as doesn't work on 4G/5G. Neither does Leafly which I wanted to check strains on there before buying.

Will try a more roaming report tomorrow.
Last edited by Raoul_Duke on Mon 29th Jan 2024 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Raoul_Duke

Re: Five time to the Dam(ned)

Post by Raoul_Duke »

Day 2...

Just back at the hotel for a pit stop. Done a few museums and the Ajax stadium tour.

Did go to Roots coffee shop by the stadium station and took a picture of the menu but don't know how add it here. There was a bouncer on the door and metal detectors to walk through. You can't even smoke inside just buy and fly only. Not sure if it's a rough neighbourhood or they do this because of the football fans that must come and go. Felt more like a coffeeshop experience in Rotterdam to be honest.

Got a few more tourist traps to tick off the list but planning on smoking most of my stash. Want to find a good CS to chill out in. Will report on the fly or tonight. Can hear the lemon bubble calling my name.

Over and out ✌️
Last edited by Raoul_Duke on Mon 29th Jan 2024 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Great travelogue! Thanks for posting.

Feel free to email any menu pix to me at lemming@coffeeshop.freeuk.com
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Thanks for sharing so far man :!: quality bit of after work reading to unwind to :thumbup:

What did you think of the Ajax stadium :?: I have done the tour before and it was ok, I have also seen a few games there and a few bands as well. The atmosphere in the Stadium when I saw Roger Walters was real quality and electric especially with the special effects 8) I expect the chemicals helped also :mrgreen: :D

Enjoy the remainder of your trip and into Belgium as well :thumbup:
Chase the Green to live the Dream :mrgreen: 8) :D
jollylittlehun

Post by jollylittlehun »

Thanks for the report mate. The silver bubble seems to be going out of stock a lot more nowadays.

Looks like I won't be going down to Roots then. Thanks for taking the hit :wink:

Glad you're enjoying the Lemon Bubble.

Have a great last night.
GreenGold

Post by GreenGold »

Raoul_Duke wrote: Fri 3rd Feb 2023 02:26 pm Day 2...

Want to find a good CS to chill out in.

Over and out ✌️
Thanks for the report.

This has become more difficult for me with each visit to Amsterdam.

Depending on location, there are some spots I'd recommend:

South: De Kade
De Barjees / West: Ruthless
De Pijp: Nice Place
Central: don't know, Het Ballontje maybe, but the seating is bad.

The above had relatively good gear with relaxed atmospheres, but like I said, it seems to be getting rarer to find the right spots to relax in.
Hope somebody comes in here and corrects me.
Tokeing tom

Post by Tokeing tom »

With each visit it feels like a part of the Amsterdam I love has gone to just a memory.
Tokeing tom

Post by Tokeing tom »

So sad but true ,thanks for the read buddy
Trad

Post by Trad »

Excellent read, thanks for taking the time to keep us updated.
Have fun.😁😁😁
If I don't see you no more in this world, I'll meet you on the next one.
JMH
Raoul_Duke

Post by Raoul_Duke »

Just back at the hotel for a pit stop. Done a few museums and the Ajax stadium tour.

Did go to Roots coffee shop by the stadium station and took a picture of the menu but don't know how add it here. There was a bouncer on the door and metal detectors to walk through. You can't even smoke inside just buy and fly only. Not sure if it's a rough neighbourhood or they do this because of the football fans that must come and go. Felt more like a coffeeshop experience in Rotterdam to be honest.

Got a few more tourist traps to tick off the list but planning on smoking most of my stash. Want to find a good CS to chill out in. Will report on the fly or tonight. Can hear the lemon bubble calling my name.

Over and out ✌️
### Wrote this whilst at Cafe Batavia...

Chilling the smoke room at Cafe Batavia. First time I've been here, although I'm having de ja vu. I feel like I may have been here before. I thought the smoke room was downstairs but it's at the back to the right. Came later than planned at 6pm and on a Friday night I thought it would be no seats but there are 3 or 4 tables free.

Was a bit wary going in with the no tobacco rule but had some Blue Peters (here's what I made earlier) on me so hopefully less conspicuous? A bloke sat opposite was rolling with his tobacco pouch on the table and I think either a barman or a regular there said to put it away.

### Wrote this the next day on the train to Brussels.

Only had two smokes at Cafe Batavia before moving on. Wanted to head towards Green Place CS on the other side of the canal where the strip of Bulldog CS' are. Apparently, there's a Smoke Boat canal cruise. Seems perfect to kill two birds with one stone(d).

Green Place was rammed but hadn't planned to go in. Gutted the smoke boat had sold out but once I saw it arrive it didn't look inviting for a solo traveller. Looks like something cool to do with a group, There are 4 sections of C-shaped seats with a table in the middle of ashtrays. Most of the seats aren't even facing the window/view. I was after a guided tour on the canal whilst getting baked and imagining it's the 17th century and I'm on a merchant ship bringing back exotic goods from other worlds or whatever my sativa-infused mind would create. :lol:

End up blazing another whilst on an impromptu walking tour and hadn't realised how far I'd gone. Somewhere near the Van Gogh. Thought about going to Kashmir Lounge but was already getting late and another jay would put me to sleep so go back to Centraal. Was going to try Siberie again but see a nice spot free outside Bulldog by the Singel/The Store CS. It wasn't as busy as it had been earlier. Seemed ok with me just ordering a drink but I headed outside and had 2 more smokes of the Lemon Bubble which was nearly all gone. Then suddenly I remembered the Wedding Crasher Popcorn.

The 1g I had panicked bought from 1e Hulp. Devil on my shoulder told me to bring it to Brussels the next day. Was able to do the better thing and gift it away to two young American guys sitting at the table near me. Students on a break travelling around Europe but on a tight budget. Rolled one jay from the Wedding Crasher and gave them the rest. I've been there before.

A good 10 years ago my first solo trip to Amsterdam I had just got to Green Place in De Wallen on the canal and sat outside got chatting with an older bloke. Good conversations as we were both rolling from our stashes. Tells me he goes home later and gave me the rest of his green and hash. Didn't have to buy any for the rest of my trip then. Feels like I've returned the favour or keeping the cycle going.

Can't really comment on how the Wedding Crasher was as I was already really baked from the Lemon Bubble. Did feel drowsier but probably a combo of a long day, a long walk and lots of smokes.

A big breakfast and a last toke of the Lemon Bubble this morning was just the ticket for a train ride to Brussels. Always feel sad about departing Amsterdam Centraal station...despite how I seem to have a conflict of interest with the place it always pulls me back in. It's a City with a dozen faces and you can enter it wearing different masks.

### Update from Paris 06/02/23

Finally got some decent Wifi to access this site! Did type it out on phone so could provide more 'as it happened' travelogue. Hope you enjoyed reading it. Will try and reply individually to the comments. The funny thing when I was in Brussels, there seemed to be more weed in the air than there was in Amsterdam so maybe I would have been ok! Although it wouldn't have gone well with the great Belgian beers. :wink:
Raoul_Duke

Post by Raoul_Duke »

GreenGold wrote: Sat 4th Feb 2023 02:47 am

Want to find a good CS to chill out in.

Over and out ✌️
Thanks for the report.

This has become more difficult for me with each visit to Amsterdam.

Depending on location, there are some spots I'd recommend:

South: De Kade
De Barjees / West: Ruthless
De Pijp: Nice Place
Central: don't know, Het Ballontje maybe, but the seating is bad.

The above had relatively good gear with relaxed atmospheres, but like I said, it seems to be getting rarer to find the right spots to relax in.
Hope somebody comes in here and corrects me.
I've been to Nice Place before. It was good for having a table to yourself but overly loud RnB music did not make me want to stay for too long. Maybe I'm just a fussy toker. I think the ideal place would be a coffeeshop that catered for solo tokers who just want to chill on their own, maybe read a book or do some writing or drawing.
Raoul_Duke

Post by Raoul_Duke »

Ghost wrote: Fri 3rd Feb 2023 04:48 pm Thanks for sharing so far man :!: quality bit of after work reading to unwind to :thumbup:

What did you think of the Ajax stadium :?: I have done the tour before and it was ok, I have also seen a few games there and a few bands as well. The atmosphere in the Stadium when I saw Roger Walters was real quality and electric especially with the special effects 8) I expect the chemicals helped also :mrgreen: :D

Enjoy the remainder of your trip and into Belgium as well :thumbup:
Cheers. The Ajax stadium tour was ok but would have preferred to see a game with an atmosphere. It was funny seeing most other people on the tour were so baked :lol:
Raoul_Duke

Post by Raoul_Duke »

jollylittlehun wrote: Fri 3rd Feb 2023 05:53 pm Thanks for the report mate. The silver bubble seems to be going out of stock a lot more nowadays.

Looks like I won't be going down to Roots then. Thanks for taking the hit :wink:

Glad you're enjoying the Lemon Bubble.

Have a great last night.
Cheers! Yeah Roots might be handy if you're going to a game or a gig there but otherwise so many better options to go to.
Raoul_Duke

Post by Raoul_Duke »

Tokeing tom wrote: Sat 4th Feb 2023 12:43 pm So sad but true ,thanks for the read buddy
Thanks mate. Yeah, didn't mean it to sound so melancholy was just more of an observation. I think Amsterdam is an era/age thing. A bit like Camden Town, it definitely had its heyday in the late 80s to early 00s before turning into a parody of itself. Maybe that's what Amsterdam is now, a parody of its glorious past.
HitTheNorth

Post by HitTheNorth »

Great read, thanks for posting. Totally agree on the halcyon days in the rear view mirror. I really miss the old vibe of aces like HGF, Pink Floyd, Lucky Mothers, Rasta Baby etc
It's getting harder but places like the Balloon, tertulia siberie still have that old school atmosphere.
1e hulp has totally lost its vibe post-refurb imo, used to be drawn to rokerij, namaste, even Noon etc because of their decor, not many like that now. I miss Arabic interiors and cushions and wood.
Peace