anyone else into airplanes/aviation?

Anything else.

Moderator: Balou

Marco

Post by Marco »

spidergawd wrote:
cattales1960 wrote:IM not into flying planes but I used to be a professional skydiver. I used to have so much fun doing it and jumped out of all kinds of aircrafts.
Very BIG respect Cattales :). Man you would have to boot me out the door, no way. :shock:. Anyway, along with a date with Marilyn Monroe, that is something that at my age has probably passed me by.

I do like to see clever technology and always used to get excited when I caught a whiff of aviation fuel near the airport. Also flew in quite a few Navy Helicopters back in the dim and distant. Ships are probably my thing though having spent 20 years at sea.

One of my favorites MV Benarty. 18 derricks and a 200 ton heavy lift, a hard working ship, but had some of the best times on it, and all I can say is I'm glad we didn't have drug tests in those days. 8).
Sorry guys aeroplanes was it ? bugger wandered off again.
:)
That sounds interesting, would love to hear about your days at sea.

Boner

Post by Boner »

Kermit wrote:I am not into planes TBH, just BHX-AMS as reg as possible :wink:
I hear that!
Being pedantic and knobbish since 1972
spidergawd

Post by spidergawd »

Thats cool Marco I'll regale you with a few salty tales and a sea shanty or two at the 420 meet if you like. If I'm capable :).
What a long strange trip it is.
Pauli Wallnuts

Post by Pauli Wallnuts »

spidergawd wrote:Thats cool Marco I'll regale you with a few salty tales and a sea shanty or two at the 420 meet if you like. If I'm capable :).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aEV-4n5 ... re=related
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXbNLkNh ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gixxer

Post by gixxer »

you,re gonna sing spidey,,,,, ill bring 1 of my guitars to accompany yo m8 8) think i can remember friggin in the riggin :lol: :lol:
RIP Lee Rigby

a fallen brother
spidergawd

Post by spidergawd »

Pauli Wallnuts wrote:
spidergawd wrote:Thats cool Marco I'll regale you with a few salty tales and a sea shanty or two at the 420 meet if you like. If I'm capable :).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aEV-4n5 ... re=related
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Spot on I think Pauli, if my family and workmates are to be believed :oops: :oops:

Gixxer I dont do singing, if you've got the gituar I'll accompany on me whale bones :wink:
Twichaldinho

Thread Jack.....continued!

Post by Twichaldinho »

The only proper ship ive ever been on, My Faither served on it during the Falklands war I think, I would need to ask him to be sure.
Endure
spidergawd

Post by spidergawd »

HMS Edinburgh eh Twitch ?, one of my daughters was on a sister ship HMS Southampton, that was only about 8 or 9 years ago, but they were in the south atlantic based in the Falklands for 6 months. Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum :P .
Uncle Ron

Re: anyone else into airplanes/aviation?

Post by Uncle Ron »

[quote="cantona7"]

I consider myself an amateur aviation enthusiast.
From the age of 8 to 19, I lived less than five miles from Pease AFB, once proud home of F-111 Bombers and KC-135 Tankers. Over the years, I really enjoyed sitting on the golf course next to the approach, watching various USAF and contracted civilian planes as they came and went.
I have flown on many passenger airplanes, and military as well. I've been on all of the typical airframes: Boeing 707, 717, 727, 737, 747, 757, 767, 777, and waiting for the 787; Airbus 300, 310, 318, 319, 320, 321, 330, 340, and waiting for a chance at the 380; Fokker 50 and 70; Embraer 170 and 190; DC 9 and DC10; MD11; L1011; DHC-6 Twin Otter; Pilatus Porter; USAF C-130, C-141, C-5; Transall C-160; Civilian C-119 Flying Boxcar.
From the Twin Otter onwards, not only was I a passenger at some point, I also jumped out of them. I was on Airborne status for 10 years. Nothing like the feeling of exiting an aircraft traveling at 125 Knots, 800 Feet above the ground, from the ramp of a C-130, into complete darkness. What a rush.

Peace.
boneymaroni

Post by boneymaroni »

Dirty Uncle Ron wrote:Nothing like the feeling of exiting an aircraft traveling at 125 Knots, 800 Feet above the ground, from the ramp of a C-130, into complete darkness. What a rush.
It's a pleasure to read this thread.

20 years spent in Airborne, Airborne Ranger and Special Forces units. In SF, the aircraft of choice was the C-130E. About an hour before drop time the aircraft flew NOE (nap of the earth) controlled by onboard computers. The controls reacted so quickly to changes in elevation that the wings actually 'flapped' like a bird's (fuck me). In flight rigging was a joy..being slammed around while trying to get rucksacks, weapons, CWIE bags hooked up. 10 minutes out, the aircraft climbed very steeply to jump altitude (hopefully >800 AGL) and levelled out in time to give the jumpmaster (usually me) a 6 minute warning. Ahh, the good ole days..yeh, right. Rope jumpng...meh...

HALO jumps were a rush as well. After securing your mask, unplug from the aircraft's oxygen console and switch to your 2 minute O2 bottle strapped on the top of your reserve.

Well...Uncle Ron...we might be acquainted...it's a small world
spidergawd

Post by spidergawd »

You're right Boney, great thread :) ,
has anyone done any Hang gliding or paragliding ? to me that looks so cool.
Have you had any long term effects on the old knees or hips from hitting the ground at speed when you were younger guys, :?:
Pauli Wallnuts

Post by Pauli Wallnuts »

boneymaroni wrote:HALO jumps were a rush as well. After securing your mask, unplug from the aircraft's oxygen console and switch to your 2 minute O2 bottle strapped on the top of your reserve.
sounds quality 8) how many feet do you jump out on a HALO, compared to a standard parachute jump?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXbNLkNh ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gixxer

Post by gixxer »

HALO,,,,,, high altitude low opening
HAHO,,,,,,,high altiude high opening
jumps take place between 25,000 & 90,000 ft
looks like theres 3 idiots that jumped from planes for a living :lol: :lol: :lol:
hope that answered your question pauli
RIP Lee Rigby

a fallen brother
Pauli Wallnuts

Post by Pauli Wallnuts »

yeah thanks gixxer, 90,000 feet :shock: , that must be some rush, more than twice the height of a cruising jet
Twichaldinho

More thread High-jack-age!

Post by Twichaldinho »

spidergawd wrote:HMS Edinburgh eh Twitch ?, one of my daughters was on a sister ship HMS Southampton, that was only about 8 or 9 years ago, but they were in the south atlantic based in the Falklands for 6 months. Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum :P .
Sure is Spidey. Turns out he only joined the Edinburgh after the Falklands.
He served on this..

And this...

During his time.
Endure