Day 1 - Monday 19th April 2010

After (or during) your trip, post your report here.
Valo

Day 1 - Monday 19th April 2010

Post by Valo »

"I walk through an emptiness, in a shadow of a bleeding soul.
Blackened dreams of endless peace, i’m tired and this walk is old.
I’ll keep walking on through the night, through wind and the rain...I’ll keep walking on to find the hidden flame!"

Viking Skull - Hidden Flame

Monday 19 April 2010

Having waited for months for this moment to arrive, the neon minute hand on my blue lit wall clock had finally ticked enough times and the start of my 12th trip to Amsterdam was about to begin...

The final anticipation of this escapade was slightly put out of joint because of the volcano in Iceland, and needless to say when all hope failed and many flights were definitely canceled, my disappointment hit rock bottom. I was very much looking forward to the ACD 420 gathering, that to-date I had only been a couch observer, and meeting many fellow ACD members. I was lucky to be able to book a coach from Dover Docks, a 10 minute drive for me, at the same price as my flight. The downside was a much longer journey and losing the best part of my first day in my favourite city. However, by the Monday morning I had accepted that this was just to be a play it by ear trip, and decided to do what I wanted instead of keeping a schedule....as with no-one to egg me on, I would struggle to keep one anyway! So I was just going to make the most of the break I had been looking forward to for so long.

Well instead of walking out Centraal station at 9am, I was waiting at the Docks for my coach which I was told was would be an hour late. In 22 EasyJet flights, not one has been delayed, yet my first coach trip with Eurolines started late...but there was nothing I could do but wait patiently.

Finally onboard the coach and it commences to drive straight out of the Docks and along to motorway....passing Folkestone and leaving the next junction, now only 1 minute from my house!! It was obvious by now that we were going through the Channel Tunnel, which was fine....just threw me off by meeting at the Docks...and I was half hoping to get some breakfast on the Ferry. But by 12pm we were driving on the train to take us through the Tunnel. By 2pm we were driving off the train on the other side.....shit that was a long journey....oh right the time difference!! The coach was originally scheduled to arrive in Amsterdam at 8pm local time and the driver had said he hoped to make up the time we lost earlier, so that was nice to know we only had a 6 hour drive – well as nice as it gets hearing that news.

The journey was largely uneventful, and didn’t offer much in the way of visual stimulation. So most of my time was spent dozing in and out of sleep, listening to my mp3 player and having a few conversations with a Belgium girl in the seat across the aisle from me. She was very friendly and enjoyed talking about the places we were driving through and passed...and I just remember that this is one reason I love travelling abroad because I speak to cool foreign people about local places, so even though I was still travelling, it had felt as though the holiday had officially begun. The only thing I remember talking about was thinking of countries who were trying to blend two of their ‘traditional’ items into one...for example Belgium is known for its beer and chocolate – and some places had made chocolate beer. It didn’t take long for me to say the Dutch has marijuana and cheese – and now have places selling cheesey weed :D Yeah stupid I know...but you try and entertain yourself for 10 hours on a coach!!!

About the only things that caught my eye on the whole journey was a shop in some random Belgium town that had a sign for ‘Amsterdam Premium Beers’. That got me excited just seeing the city name again. Also noticed a Porsche garage somewhere, I think this was in Belgium but can’t be sure.....other than that it was a seriously boring journey for window gazing!!

Image Image

There was a stop-off at some service station for a drivers break, where I didn’t buy anything as I didn’t want to dip into my euros already...and instead stood outside chatting to a young Dutch guy from our coach who was on his way to Los Angeles for a holiday but got stuck in London’s Heathrow for 3 days because of the flight disruptions; before deciding to coach it back home. I did feel for him but he had a great attitude about everything and made me feel guilty about any moaning I had done about the travel.

The time must have been 6pm when we set off again and we must have crossed the Dutch border soon after as all the road signs were Dutch towns. Mind you, I hadn’t actually noticed any borders or checks at all on the way out, which did surprise me. Although speaking of road signs, I do like the way in Europe the distances are posted in km, so it feels like you are getting somewhere quicker!! :D

With my ears nearly bleeding from the 3 Viking Skull albums I listened to (twice over!), I gave in and gave them a rest by removing my headphones only to overhear the driver tell another passenger that Amsterdam’s stop was only 15 minutes away!! Arghh....too excited now!! And looking at the time, it was 8pm so we did pretty well to make up the time. I was also hopeful of getting to my hotel by 9pm still, which I had emailed them before to confirm was ok.

Pulling round the final corner of a long journey...and there really was light at the end of the tunnel....6 infact....reading AMSTEL – I didn’t need to read more as I had packed my belongings, thanked the driver and gathered up my bag. Feeling pretty stiff from the drive, I slowly unravelled my body as I walked across the parking bays to the train and metro station. Asking a guy behind the info desk the easiest way to Dam Square or Centraal Station, I was pointed towards to stairs to the metro and told I could buy a ticket on the platform....which I did with the few euros changed I had kept over from my previous trip....and within minutes I was on the metro about 7 minutes away.

Arriving at Centraal Station I went to exit the gates using my ticket which just wouldn’t work for some reason...so I had to just push my way through behind someone who was using a chip card. I had mad visions of me having to jump over a pretty tall gate had no-one else been behind me getting off the train!

Leaving the main doors on the station was all too familiar, only this time it was dark due to being the latest I had arrived on any trip. This later time even disrupted my ritual 2 minute meditation I take upon leaving the sliding doors, taking in the relief, excitement, anticipation...and pretty much every other emotion I had running through my coach cramped body. So I rushed down the road and walked through the doors of The Old Quarter hotel almost bang on 9pm...and was greeted by a friendly woman who I had seen on previous visits. She didn’t seem to recognise me, but was pleased when I told her I knew the details she started to tell me about the hotel. Handing over my €200 for 4 nights I was given room 7 on the front side...which was directly next door to the twin room I had shared with my dad 18 months ago. I knew exactly what to expect and was just pleased I got a window that opened up on Warmoesstraat, as I like listening to the bustling noises of the oldest street in the city.

As soon as I got into my room I sent a text to Stenman to see if he was still out and about. By the time I had unpacked my bag, I had a reply saying he and his friend were just heading back as they had been up since Sunday morning...ouch...I had half anticipated this as I knew their Ferry was at just gone midnight, and would take some stamina to last that long without a break. But he told me he had picked up a glass pipe for me and we would meet in the morning...I knew I wouldn’t last long myself once I started smoking so it was probably better this way.

I dropped my key off downstairs, told to have a good night by the lady who had checked me in....haha....and was on the street around 9:15pm. Soooo tempted to hit Hunters directly next door, but I wanted to see if Baba souvenir shop was still open, and to my surprise it was, so I nipped in and asked for a cheap metal pipe that I can chuck after the week...I was given exactly what I wanted for €5 and given a free pack of screens which was a bonus....even though I had brought a packet with me. I left with the words “happy smoking” from the shop assistant and took a right out of the shop towards Hunters2 (which I still call The Coin).

A long time favourite shop of mine and upon entry was greeted not only but the familiar sweet smell of Haze and other random weeds (which always seems more pungent or at least unique in Hunters to me), but also by Matt who I have met on probably 7 or 8 of my trips and he immediately recognised me....forgot my name as always which makes me laugh every time. We were still exchanging pleasantries as he stuck a box of G13/Amnesia (€12,50 per gram) under my nose....telling me it’s a top batch at the moment, and what he is smoking. I told him of my epic journey throughout the day and was so up for a smoke by now....he said he was a strong smoke, then laughed and said even better for a first smoke...haha....I couldn’t agree more. Was a fine smoke, made me cough a bit, but I did take a bloody big hit....lovely clean weed taste, couldn’t put a flavour on it, but it was good.

Before long Matt became my first victim of having to listen for me to talk shit for 10-15 minutes while I get a big buzz on. But it had been 18 months since I had been here so we had some stuff to chat about....and he told me some hilarious stories which i’m sure he won’t appreciate me sharing online – although I bet you would hear them after just talking to him for a while. A very funny and entertaining guy!!...and always a pleasure to share the company of.

He showed me a few other of the weeds during our conversations...I asked about the Blue Cheese and wow!!!! The smelliest weed I have ever come across....just opening the container felt like a punch from a boxer – I literally went weak at the knees. Unbelievable smell....and I knew I would be back for that. The normal Cheese had a very mild smell compared to it....and didn’t really interest me after the first. The NYC Diesel was another which I had to come back for....to me it smells very limey and this was a gorgeous smell, although again I decided to try it another day.

Getting close to 11pm I was starving, having not eaten all day, and had smoked all but a couple of bowls of the G13/Amnesia so was feeling at my limit already. This amused Matt again that I nearly finished the gram in pipes to myself...which became a bit of a trend on this trip so explains the lack of bud shots this time, as I really had nothing worthy to photo half the time. But by now I had to eat and said farewell to Matt, he said that he expected me to walk past the red light ladies on the way down to see if there were any new faces but I resisted and just headed down the Damstraat and the Wok to Go (i think). Noticing many flashing lights to my left, I realised the fair was in Dam Square again.

After ordering a Thai Curry Beef with noodles for €7,50 I sat on the table on the street watching everyone walking in front of me while I dominated my food. It was sitting here outside watching people that I realised how baked I actually was!!....and the curry was the perfect complement to my state of mind.

It still wasn’t relatively late at about 11:30pm and even though I was pretty done in after dinner, I wanted to go to another coffeeshop so walked to the new Dampkring (which I think I have finally stopped calling Pink Floyd). The shop seemed fairly empty on the ground floor at least and I was the only one at the dealers desk...but didn’t want something strong this time round so opted for an old favourite in the Bubblegum (€8 per gram). I sat down on the sofa with a hot chocolate (and whipped cream of course!) and this was the first time since I was in town that I had to just chill out and relax. The bubblegum was a nice mild smoke...and seemed perfect for keeping my current buzz without adding to it too much, although after a few bowls I was feeling the effects of that alone. A nice smoke for what it is, not as good as I remember though but was ideal for that night.

I didn’t stay too long as I was getting tired and weary, so made my way back to the hotel without many distractions and was probably back in my room by 12:30am watching MTV Europe on tv smoking myself to sleep whilst eating one of several packs of sweets I brought with me.

The day had mostly been travelling, but sitting in my room with my thoughts after having appreciated 3 hours in Amsterdam had thought everything leading here had been worth it......with much more to come.

~ Is that a grinder in your pocket? ~
Twichaldinho

Post by Twichaldinho »

Sublime!
Thank you very, very much.
Endure
angry pirate

Post by angry pirate »

Good start Valo, cheers. Sorry i only got in touch when you were back home! :shock: . Oh well, next time eh?
ACD Fantasy League 16/17 - 276297-87189.

Free to join :)
Dr Greenshed

Post by Dr Greenshed »

excellent detailed read thanks very much
shit day at work and that cheered me up
Chief weed tester @my house
islandgurl

Post by islandgurl »

Great reading so far, Valo! I never saw Stenman to give him his Reese's Cups so I gave them to my friend Holly before I left (sorry Stenman, I tried).

I agree about Pink Floyd, can't help missing that shop as it was one of my faves.
Bollo

Post by Bollo »

wonderful so far, 10 hrs on a bus is dedication to the cause! looking forward to the rest
Blues Haze

Post by Blues Haze »

Awsome read Valo, Looking foward to the next installment :D

Peace Out
ftcarer

Post by ftcarer »

Wicked start mate . looking forward to the rest , i'm booked in to the Old Quater in June :)
Sending out the good vibes to those that need them right now :-)
mattstar

Post by mattstar »

great! am looking forward to the rest of it! thanx
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

islandgurl wrote:Great reading so far, Valo! I never saw Stenman to give him his Reese's Cups so I gave them to my friend Holly before I left (sorry Stenman, I tried).

I agree about Pink Floyd, can't help missing that shop as it was one of my faves.
Not to worry IG, many thanks anyway, this trip for me didn't pan out as i intended, due to all the travelling and having a newbie with me aswell. Had good plans to meet up with as many people as possible, but that all went out the window.

Nice 1 VALO, was good catching up with you mate, and yes the travelling was a long one, left at 6pm uk time and arrived in the Dam 8.30am and a few hundred mile done.

We Have catch up again mate :wink:
Chase the Green to live the Dream :mrgreen: 8) :D
geekymonkey

Post by geekymonkey »

I'm really enjoying your writing- great report!

Thanks for sharing.
PecosTheCat

Post by PecosTheCat »

outstanding start to your report. Looking forward to the next installments....

:D
titus wong

Post by titus wong »

Good read. Let's 'ave some more!
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
Valo

Post by Valo »

Thanks for all the replies, very kind of you all.

I'm hoping to have day 2 up by the end of today. Finally getting some time to myself after a hectic 2 weeks since I been back. The trip is still very fresh in mind though....missing the place like mad already.
~ Is that a grinder in your pocket? ~
Cisco

Post by Cisco »

How did i miss this ? wicked mate wicked :wink:
-