Unsure whether I should allow my friend to take mushrooms..

Marco

Post by Marco »

Boner wrote:Dont forget to stop him from smoking any weed while you're at it, thats not a good thing to do if suffering from depression either, the same with booze dont let him drink and dont let him cross the road by himself either.
Yes, weed is terrible for depression.

Why you are criticizing this guy for caring about his mate is beyond me.

Marco

Post by Marco »

The French girl who committed suicide by jumping off the Nemo was reportedly depressed and her autopsy revealed a previous attempt at suicide.
Boner

Post by Boner »

So are you going to allow him to drink & smoke if he wants to do that? both are bad for people from suffering from depression.

What if he wasn't suffering from depression, would you allow him to try mushies then? anything that alters the mind can have detrimental effects no matter what state the persons mind is in?

I wont 'do one' either, I cant get over the whole allowing him to do something he wants to do.
Being pedantic and knobbish since 1972
gixxer

Post by gixxer »

conkers m8, id just warn your m8 what shrooms could do and leave it at that.

at the end of the day this guy is an adult and can choose to either take them or not.

i think youre being a good friend to your m8, but like boner said where do you stop, ie weed and alcohol could start him feeling depressed again.
RIP Lee Rigby

a fallen brother
Conkers

Post by Conkers »

Boner wrote:So are you going to allow him to drink & smoke if he wants to do that? both are bad for people from suffering from depression.

What if he wasn't suffering from depression, would you allow him to try mushies then? anything that alters the mind can have detrimental effects no matter what state the persons mind is in?

I wont 'do one' either, I cant get over the whole allowing him to do something he wants to do.
Firstly, drinking socially and smoking socially is completely different to taking magic mushrooms, in no way are they in the same league.

Secondly, he's smoked cannabis for 6-7 years almost everyday and so him smoking it out there is irrelevant.

Thirdly, he doesn't drink.

Forthly, I've payed for his trip to amsterdam to help cheer him up as he was feeling a bit down 3-4 months ago so why shouldn't I be skeptical about letting him take them? He's my friend, I wouldn't be very much of a good one if I didn't care about his well being.

To be honest, I just wanted a few opinions and some advice not some dickhead to pick holes in my posts.
Gravitaye
Boner

Post by Boner »

Apologies, I'm just being a cock.
Being pedantic and knobbish since 1972
Conkers

Post by Conkers »

No harm done, don't worry about it geez. :wink:
Gravitaye
bleak

Re: Unsure whether I should allow my friend to take mushroom

Post by bleak »

I would say unless your friend has serious depression problems, it should be ok for him to take a medium/weak dose. If he likes it, you can always do another trip 3-4 days later (assuming you're here that long) and step up the dose.

Many people say that a mushroom trip helped them to break out of negative thought patterns (like depression). They open your mind and help you to see the big picture, instead of focusing on silly details in your life.

Agree with others about the set and setting. If you've done them before, you'll be a good guide for your friend. I think the reason most people start to panic, causing a 'bad trip', is because the feeling of losing control. If you decide beforehand that you are ready to let go, and that the mushrooms can't POSSIBLY hurt you, then you're on the right foot. You have to remember to be a 'spectator' and just let the mushrooms do their thing.

I've heard multiple times that sugar is the best way to get back in control if you're tripping too hard. I've never needed to do this though, always good trips for me.
j-smoker

Post by j-smoker »

depression and shrooms are a recipie for disaster. fact. whilst the only deaths of people taking shrooms (suicide excluded) have been due to cardiac arrest never proved directly to due to compounds in shrooms there are plenty of documented cases of lasting phsycosis. the effect a bad trip can have on you should not be underestimated and in the unlucky few can cause long term effects. ethogens like magic mushrooms should be treated with respect-they are not a party drug. If you want to feel good go for e or coke.

iv tripped dozens of times and iv had the greatest and worst times on shrooms.
Last edited by j-smoker on Thu 21st Oct 2010 05:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We cant stop here this is bat country
Conkers

Post by Conkers »

bleak wrote:I would say unless your friend has serious depression problems, it should be ok for him to take a medium/weak dose. If he likes it, you can always do another trip 3-4 days later (assuming you're here that long) and step up the dose.

Many people say that a mushroom trip helped them to break out of negative thought patterns (like depression). They open your mind and help you to see the big picture, instead of focusing on silly details in your life.

Agree with others about the set and setting. If you've done them before, you'll be a good guide for your friend. I think the reason most people start to panic, causing a 'bad trip', is because the feeling of losing control. If you decide beforehand that you are ready to let go, and that the mushrooms can't POSSIBLY hurt you, then you're on the right foot. You have to remember to be a 'spectator' and just let the mushrooms do their thing.

I've heard multiple times that sugar is the best way to get back in control if you're tripping too hard. I've never needed to do this though, always good trips for me.
Cheers mate, very helpful.

and thanks to everybody for their input..
Gravitaye
Znatty2010

Post by Znatty2010 »

I agree with whats been said above, advise him sure, but let him make up his own mind. Personally, i have suffered from depression in the past but also enjoy tripping either on shrooms or LCD. I'v never had a bad trip because i can understand my own thought patterns and know not to be trippin when i'm particulary stressed or anxious or down in the dumps bout sum sh*t, cuz it would intensify those feeling and would be sh*t craic. Acid and schrooms feed off ur own imagination so it could be the best you can possibly imagine or the worst, the choice is yours really... But ye there are a few things to help keep things on an even keel:
Setting: somewhere familiar, comfortable,
Company: Friends, people you know and trust
Weed: lots of it! Bongs, Hookah Pipes, Waterfalls, also pre-roll spliffs as it can be challanging with a head full of acid
Alcohol: something tasty, i love beer, whiskey Guinness or scotch but that's up to you
Music: chilled, relaxed, mad and crazy, regaaee always brings you back to earth, metal and mad heavy Dub Step can be pretty intense! you have been warned.
Activities: Anything to keep your mind busy, talk laugh, joke, doing something creative, If your a painter, paint, a musician, play! Where im from, County Down in the North of Ireland we like to trip mad with guitars, bongos, mandelins, bodhrans, tin whistles etc. :D but that's us dude, your friend needs to find his groove.

Last but not least a trip around a park or a nature reserve or something like that is a must. Nature is perfection when tripping. Hope you'se have loads of fun btw. Am hitting the Dam myself for 4 days on Sunday for my 21st! Can't wait!!!! :D :D Peace
That herb smokin', wine drinkin' son of a gun!