Oliebollen (Dutch Doughnuts)

Restaurants and takeaways.
us2

Oliebollen (Dutch Doughnuts)

Post by us2 »

On way home from Voyagers last night we came across a food stall with some great smelling treats so off we went to investigate :D :D They had something called an Oliebollen which turned out to be a dutch doughnut without the hole :shock: anyway we bought some and they were yum! In fact they were so yummy we got some more tonight after a visit to club media. Definately recommend trying them, €1 each or 12 for €10.

tbk420

Post by tbk420 »

-------------
Last edited by tbk420 on Thu 25th Oct 2012 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pauli Wallnuts

Post by Pauli Wallnuts »

tbk420 wrote:I plan to eat at least one million when I'm there in Feb. 8)
at least?? :lol:
westerkerk

Post by westerkerk »

tbk420 wrote:I plan to eat at least one million when I'm there in Feb. 8)
They're not as common after New Year but you may still be able to find them

If you buy from the stalls on the street, going very late at night is great because they always seem to throw in double!
tbk420

Post by tbk420 »

------------
Last edited by tbk420 on Thu 25th Oct 2012 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old School Smoker

Post by Old School Smoker »

Those are one of the two things food wise (Van Dobben brand of bitterballen being the other) that the wife really misses from her home country. In fact she has said that she would sell her sister to get hold of some 'proper oliebollen' over here! :shock:

(personally I would sell her sister for a good size bag of KC Jones from Grey Area!) 8)
Lamont

Post by Lamont »

I've got to try some of these bad boys. They sound delish. Are street vendors the best place to buy and is Dam square the best area to find them or would Albert Cuypmarkt be a better place?
westerkerk

Post by westerkerk »

The best stand around Christmas and New Year is just off the top end of Museumplein, they do the most amazing Apple Olliebollen.

Don't think the same stand is there after New Year though as it was gone by the 3rd last time.

There's also a couple of good ones on Rembrandtplein, near Thornbeckplein. But I've not been to those in about two years cos I was backpacking India last year.
us2

Post by us2 »

Lamont wrote:I've got to try some of these bad boys. They sound delish. Are street vendors the best place to buy and is Dam square the best area to find them or would Albert Cuypmarkt be a better place?
We got ours at the Winterland park just down from Thorbekeplien but i guess there are a few other places too although we didn't see any at Albert Cuypmarkt. And yes they are def delish :D
Saxon

Re: Oliebollen (Dutch Doughnuts)

Post by Saxon »

My mate got hooked on Oliebollen on our Autumn 2009 trip. He'd only been to Amsterdam in the summer before and had never even heard of them. We were on our way to de Pijp so I took him to the stall on Marie Heinekenplein and we had one each to eat as we were walking along. My mate was immediately in love with the gooey, cinnamony goodness of Oliebollen. So, on the way back he made us pass by there again and this time he bought half a dozen of them. All you could see was a cloud of powdered sugar as he scoffed the lot as we walked along. From then on our whole four day holiday was measured in how far we were from a Oliebollen stall, he couldn't stop going on about them and I reckon that he must have eaten at least another thirty and all varieties, plain, raisin, apple, pineapple, whatever they had.
We still have a laugh about his Oliebollen addiction now.
Lamont

Post by Lamont »

Picked up a couple of theses today from a stand at the Biljmer ArenA train station. One plain and one raisin, both unbelievably tasty! Good thing I don't have access to those things on a regular basis.... :lol:
Nimrod

Post by Nimrod »

The last two Octobers, I've been getting my fried dough at the stand on Kinkerstraat over Bilderdijkgracht. I think they start up in October >me so lucky<.
Yossarian22

Post by Yossarian22 »

Any idea if/where they might be available in April? It seems like it's a seasonal thing but other posters mentioning they got it in fall brings my hopes up.
USbongLord

Post by USbongLord »

theres a stand right south of the heinekin brewery...absolutly delicious..stop on the way to media or katsu...enjoy..across from a costume store..im really high on cheisel
rockin into the night
Colina

Post by Colina »

I don't have a own picture of that stall but I have found this pictures in the net...
great stuff for the hike back to the center :mrgreen:

HOLLAND
Hope Our Love Lasts And Never Dies