France to The 'Dam (By Train)

Getting there and getting around.
redeyezman

Re: France to The 'Dam (By Train)

Post by redeyezman »

SkinAnother wrote:You should be fine but be prepared to pay a supplement for it.
You are refearing to the fact that ill have to pay a small charge to reserve a seat even though I have a Eurail Global pass right? Something like 3-8 euro usually?

Shells sink. Dreams float.
Kingdoc

Post by Kingdoc »

redeyezman wrote:
SkinAnother wrote:You should be fine but be prepared to pay a supplement for it.
You are refearing to the fact that ill have to pay a small charge to reserve a seat even though I have a Eurail Global pass right? Something like 3-8 euro usually?

When i booked at the centraal station kiosk for antwerpen i had to pay like a 4 euro booking fee,Dono if this applies to the self service machines but i was cool with it in the end 8),KD.
redeyezman

Post by redeyezman »

Now that my trip is over here are the cold hard facts for anyone traveling by train.

On the train schedule if it says "Please reserve" then it is optional and you DO NOT have to reserve. If it says "compulsory reservation" then you have to pay for a seat reservation.

I waited in line at the counter and paid 80 euro for 2 seat reservations to Paris. On every other train I took seat reservations were mandatory it was 40 euro or less, and I simply paid the conductor. In some cases as cheap as 10 euro a seat. It was very hard for me to use the computer kiosk to find out how to get my seat reservations so finally I just stopped looking and simply got on my train, and sat where there were no last names posted above the seat (which indicate a reservation)

Seat reservations will be mandatory on all international trains (except German run trains...at least for me going from Germany to Amsterdam it was not mandatory)

All and all seat reservations added another 200 euro, but I spanned 5 countries over the period of 15 days of travel.
Shells sink. Dreams float.
Sky

Post by Sky »

Thalys, which is the high speed train from Paris/Nord to Amsterdam/Centraal, is the only way to go, 3 hours 15 minutes.
Breakfast in Paris and Lunch in Amsterdam, or vice versa.

Here is a link:

http://www.thalys.com/de/en/practical-t ... g-a-ticket