Rokerij Seed Co's Amnesia Haze

Including growing tips and questions.
Uncle Ron

Rokerij Seed Co's Amnesia Haze

Post by Uncle Ron »

Hello peeps and welcome to my adventures with growing Rokerij Seed Co's version of the popular Amnesia Haze.
I will keep the report simple, providing (painful) details if called for or asked.

To start things off, I would like to dedicate this report to the "good" people at the Rokerij Coffeeshops who've served, and in some cases befriended, the stoners of the world. My hat is off to you, and I wish you all good fortunes in your future endeavors.

Ok, let's get started. First I will list the equipment I used, fairly basic and straight forward. Next, I will describe the vegetation period to include germinating, seedling, and the 18 hour photo-period. I will then follow with the flowering period which will mostly consist of pictures with brief comments. Moving on from flowering, there will be a brief bit about the harvest, which will lead into the drying/curing process. Finally, my summation and conclusion which will include comments about the cured bud, hash/oil, resources expended (costs), and final thoughts.

Equipment
- Home Box XL 120cm x 120cm x 200cm
- 400 watt switchable ballast with Metal Halide and High Pressure Sodium bulbs
- RK125 exhaust ventilator with charcoal filter
- 15cm and 25cm adjustable speed fans
- Standard gardeners soil mix (fertilizer/nutrient enriched)
- Jiffy Pellets (peat moss)
- Bio Bizz fertilizer/nutrient = Root Juice, Bio Grow, Bio Bloom, Alg-A-Mic, Top Max
- Apple Vinegar (used to lower the pH)
- pH Tester (electric and manual color chart)
- EC tester
- Combination thermostat and hygrometer (Relative Humidity)
- 10 liter containers with drip pan
- Assorted garden tools and watering buckets/pales
- Bamboo supports
- Pipe cleaners (used to tie the plant to the bamboo supports)
- Magnifying glass
- Pocket microscope 30x, 60x, 100x
... and other items which I may or may not mention. :wink: 8)

VEGETATION
Germination and Seedling
Day 1 - I opened the seed pack and gave a good once over, looking at the seeds using a magnifying glass, and the seeds all looked good.
I placed the seeds into a drinking glass filled half way with warm (25c) tap water. I placed the glass near the heater to maintain 25c for 24 hours.
Day 2 - After 24hrs, I placed the seeds on a moistened paper towel and folded the towel in half, covering the seeds. I kept the paper towel moist but not soaked.
Day 4 - On the morning of the third day all five seeds had sprouted a small root... yay, we're pregnant. :mrgreen:
I gently placed the germinated seeds into prepared Jiffy pellets, and the pellets into a plastic container (moisture/temp control).
Day 6 - Two days later they all broke the surface. Here is a picture at the end of the second day.
I kept the jiffy's moist over the next week using a spray bottle filled with warm tap water.
After one week, all of the plants had roots sticking out of the jiffy pellets, so it was time to transplant into the 10 liter containers.
I continued using the spray bottle to water the plants given that they were still quite small. Also, I didn't use any plant food because the soil had enough.
Day 25 - As with most potted plants, the soil will compact over time, leaving a space between the top soil and the top of the container. Because I want to enable the plant to grow surface roots, I cover the top soil with expanded clay pellets. Some may use the top soil method to determine when to feed the plants, I use the "kick the can" method. Also, I don't like the soil to dry out - bad for the roots, bad for the plant. Too easy...

Day 29

Day 32

Day 39

Day 39 Dual-branched node, freak of nature... :mrgreen:

Day 45 Dual-branch

Day 48 - Last day of vegetation.

I will end this segment at the last day of vegetation. When I return I will provide a little detail of what transpired during the vegetation period. Be warned, it will be slightly boring, so I promise to keep it short. :lol:

Happy farming... :mrgreen:

BigDanHaze

Re: Rokerij Seed Co's Amnesia Haze

Post by BigDanHaze »

Nice Uncle Ron, this is one of my favorite Sativas and I smoke tons of it every time I am in Amsterdam. It is also a strain I'm interetsed in adding to the rotation.
Can't wait to see how flowering goes. Good Luck!
Weed-o

Post by Weed-o »

Great pics and read so far. :D
I'm really looking forward to the flowering stage.
Thanks for sharing, Ron!
Cisco

Post by Cisco »

Interesting that you pot straight into 10Ltr rather than pot up a couple times
-
Uncle Ron

Post by Uncle Ron »

Cisco wrote:Interesting that you pot straight into 10Ltr rather than pot up a couple times
I can't be bothered (lazy perhaps) with potting up more than once, if that. To be frank, I don't see the need.
I think one of the benefits of growing in soil is that one can just plant the seed and grow from there.
I chose to use jiffy pellets instead of straight into the soil because I was dealing with another crop.
I'm going to use the same philosophy when I grow hydroponically, but instead of the jiffy pellets, I'll be using either 2in or 4in rock wool cubes. Once the roots have been established, I'll put them into the 10L container filled with expanded clay pellets and grow.

Uncle Ron

Post by Uncle Ron »

Hello peeps,
Time for another installment, continuing with Vegetation...
Because I needed to use the box to dry my previous crop, I had to get creative with space utilization.
One more week to finish drying, and the Amnesia seedlings were ready for the 18hr photo period, so time to improvise.
I used a 1m sq table and placed it inside the box. I secured the drying net underneath the table using bungy cord; worked nicely. 8) :D
I placed the 10L containers on top of the table, adjusted the lamp, and we're in business. :mrgreen:
After five days, the drying bud was ready and I was able to remove the net and table. Phew, back to normal.
The first week of the 18hr photo period hadn't provided anything noteworthy, just five plants sunning themselves. :lol: :mrgreen:
During the second week and beginning of the third week, the plants were growing just as I had hoped - healthy, a lush canopy, with an inter-node spacing between 1-2 inches. It was also during these weeks that I noticed the double-branched node. (see pictures)
During the latter part of the third week, two of the plants decided to have a race to see which one would reach the top of the grow box first. :shock: :lol:
I gave each plant a designation, P1, P2, P3, P4, and P5. The two racers were P1 and P4, with P3 showing signs that it was thinking about entering the race. Thankfully it didn't... :lol: :mrgreen: With these three acting up a bit, not to mention that all plants had a least five established nodes, I decided that it was time to put them into flowering.
Usually I turn the light off for a 24hr dark period and then begin the 12hr photo period, but this time I thought I would do something a little different. Instead, I would use a technique mentioned by Jorge Cervantes, which is to leave the plants in a dark period for 72hrs. Cool, I'll let them sit in the dark for three days while I take a much deserved rest and spend a couple of days in Amsterdam. The pause came two weeks after the HT Cannabis Cup, and all was back to normal in Amsterdam. :lol: Normal? :shock: :lol: :mrgreen:

So then, this was the vegetation period, in a nut shell. 8)
Besides the early space issues, and the double-branched node, this was a boring vegetation period. And you know what, I'll take it every time. No issues with the germination, no issues with the transplant, no issues when feeding and watering, none issues at all.
The reason - they were being saved up for the flowering period. :o :shock: :twisted: but one should always :) :mrgreen:

Next up, The Flowering... :shock: :lol: :mrgreen:
Happy farming...
Weemanio

Post by Weemanio »

any more info?? was just starting to enjoy this lol
stints

Post by stints »

we want more !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Uncle Ron

Post by Uncle Ron »

FLOWERING PART I
Hallo peeps,
After a total of 45 days of vegetation (germination, seedling, 18hr photo period), it's time for the girls to blossom.
When I returned from Amsterdam, I was eager to see what effect 72hrs of darkness had on the plants. I was happy to see that they looked good although the main and secondary fan leaves were drooping. I set the timer ( :oops: I forgot to list it. Stopped working after the 6th week.) to a 12hr photo period and let the flowering begin. Three days later all of the fan leaves had recovered and all was well in this stoners crop.
Time for some pictures to help the report along...
This is a group shot on Day 13. Notice the stretching with the two in the back. On the left is P1 and on the right P4. The plant in the middle is P5, and what you don't see is the small box underneath raising it up to even the canopy. That's right boys and girls, P5 has become the runt of the litter.

This is the stretch monster P5 at Day 13, and this is what happens when plants grow too close to the light.

This shot was taken on Day 22, a day after I super cropped (bent the stalk) P1 and P4.

Day 24, three days after super cropping.

Day 29, notice the fan leaves on the middle plant, P5. The same thing happened during the same time in the previous crop, unexplained yellowing and necrotic spotting. I decided the increase the amount of nutrients which raised the EC from 2.2 to 2.83. Now to wait and watch...

This was the first part of the flowering period.
Stay tuned for Part II.
Happy farming...
treetop

Post by treetop »

Hi Ron - Thanks for posting this. Am somewhat interested in Amnesia. Is it easy to grow so far? Looks like you have made it look easy so far.

I like your set up. Very clean and uncluttered.

How long do you forecast the flowering period to last?
How much did you produce?
Uncle Ron

Post by Uncle Ron »

treetop wrote:Hi Ron - Thanks for posting this. Am somewhat interested in Amnesia. Is it easy to grow so far? Looks like you have made it look easy so far.
I like your set up. Very clean and uncluttered.
How long do you forecast the flowering period to last?
Hey Treetop,
Looks easy to grow, but looks can be deceiving... :shock: :wink:
The crop was easy to manage until I had to super crop two plants and put one on a box.
I would expect having to make certain modifications or adjustments if I were growing different strains, but these are the same strain, or supposed to be.
What I ended up growing were five different phenotypes, no two plants were alike. :shock: No shit.

The set up is easy to maintain and just as easy to mess up. :lol:
I cleaned the box once a week when I removed the plants to take measurements and pictures. Two birds, one stone... :lol:

The entire flowering period lasted 87 days. I harvested the last plant (P2) on Friday the 9th.

Happy farming...
SloWhite

Post by SloWhite »

Great Report Ron!! Cant wait to see the finish up..
Not your average Horticulturalist..
Uncle Ron

Post by Uncle Ron »

Thanks SloWhite...
I'll be submitting Part II sometime later today, maybe.
All depends on whether I become too high/stoned and lost in the Black Forest, or fall off my bike while doing so. :o :lol:
It's going to be a gorgeous day today in this stoners neighborhood with clear skies, calm winds, and temps in the upper teens (16-18c).
Perfect March weather for So. Germany/Central Europe.
More to follow...
Happy farming...
Cisco

Post by Cisco »

Uncle Ron wrote:
Cisco wrote:Interesting that you pot straight into 10Ltr rather than pot up a couple times
I can't be bothered (lazy perhaps) with potting up more than once, if that. To be frank, I don't see the need.
I think one of the benefits of growing in soil is that one can just plant the seed and grow from there.
I chose to use jiffy pellets instead of straight into the soil because I was dealing with another crop.

The theory of potting up is to get strong roots (which is essential in soil) also saves a wee bit on nutes too , usually three times is the trick

Happy farming
-
Uncle Ron

Post by Uncle Ron »

Cisco wrote:The theory of potting up is to get strong roots (which is essential in soil) also saves a wee bit on nutes too , usually three times is the trick
Happy farming
Thanks Cisco... :)
The most I've up-potted is twice, from a jiffy to a 5 liter and then to a 20 liter.
The lazy in me says 'eff this, germinate and plant directly into the big container. :lol:
The practical in me (wins out 90% of the time) says I should use a jiffy or rock wool not only to establish roots, but it's easier to manage as well. I don't have to dick with trying to keep 10 or 20 liters of soil moist.