Vancouver/Vansterdam info???

mazdog

Vancouver/Vansterdam info???

Post by mazdog »

Just wondering if any of you guys have ever been to Vancouver, BC? or if you might know of any good online resources/forums for info on the "scene" up there?

As badly as i already wanna go back to Amsterdam, i just don't think it will happen soon enough, so i'm thinkin the next best thing will be Vancouver. And it is much closer and cheaper for me :lol:

so any info or links you guys got would be highly appreciated!!

sonicblue

Post by sonicblue »

I've done the Vancouver scene one time. The city itself is very nice but as far as smoke it's no Amsterdam. I stayed a week and sampled 3 types of bud. All the smoke was heavy stoner weed. The feeling was like someone had tied lead weights to my body. It was all I could do to drag myself back to my hotel room to lay down. The BC bud was indeed strong but not worth a repeat trip - IMHO.

As far as info, seach Google for Vansterdam and you will find all the links you want. The center of activity is on Hastings Street and just my opinion again but the people in the smoke scene seemed rather stand-off'ish, much less welcoming than the coffeeshops in Amsterdam almost to the point of go away American.

One last thing, the budtenders I worked with did not have a clue about what type of marijuana they were selling. It's pot - dude. What do you want? Rather disappointing.

Actually, I think a visit to New York city would yield better results.
My thoughts are free.
mazdog

Post by mazdog »

thanks Sonic... i've heard some of the same kinda complaints about the attitude up there. But i love the super stony weed so that part sounds good to me.
:lol:
Valo

Post by Valo »

Have I been living under a rock the past year or so? but...

has cannabis been de-criminalised in Vancouver the same as Amsterdam now? If so with licensed shops that sell as well? I know it's more relaxed in Canada as far as medical use is concerned, but this sounds like it could be another big (and much appreciated) step.
~ Is that a grinder in your pocket? ~
mazdog

Post by mazdog »

i do believe it has been de-criminalized, but not to the extent of the dam. Still fully illegal to sell openly, but as i understand it, they cops are looking the other way as long as there is some discretion.

Last i actually heard was that the cops raided and shut down one shop (can't recall the name) that was being a little too open, and then shortly after that another one of the "known" spots had a devastating accidental fire.

i still haven't found the time to really start looking for more current info, but when i do i will throw some info and links up here for future reference 8)
Valo

Post by Valo »

Sounds interesting - I have always had a big thing about Calgary in Alberta, out of all the places in the world I have never been, for some reason Calgary really appeals to me. Always wanted to go for the Calgary to Vancouver train ride too, guess I got more reason for a trip there one day now (that would require some serious saving though!!!).
~ Is that a grinder in your pocket? ~
superchunkymonkey

Post by superchunkymonkey »

the store was new amsterdam and if u go to vancouver dont say ur from the us they dont like em cuz bush administration pressured the van cops to raid the place
Naman Fletcher

Big Ups for Vancouver!

Post by Naman Fletcher »

My wife and I just returned from a week in Vancouver. I would encourage everyone to visit the city! The people were wonder and there are a huge variety of outdoor activities and beautiful scenery.

There is definitely a bud scene in Vancouver. Note however that cannabis is tolerated but not legal, although there are provisions for medical use.

While there are no shops that openly sell cannabis there is what I would call a “reefer district” that runs for a few blocks on the East end of West Hastings Street in the downtown area. We were told that it easy to score here, but instead we took advantage of a new rage in Canada – mail order buds!

The best source for information about the scene in Canada is www.cannabisculture.com. In their forum section they actually have a specific thread about recommended mail order companies. We used budmail.biz for our order. When we arrive at our hotel we received a currier delivery of super bubble hash that we enjoyed during our stay. More expensive than Amsterdam but equal quality.

Go and enjoy a great time in Canada.

Ned
Naman Fletcher

Big Ups for Vancouver!

Post by Naman Fletcher »

My wife and I just returned from a week in Vancouver. I would encourage everyone to visit the city! The people were wonder and there are a huge variety of outdoor activities and beautiful scenery.

There is definitely a bud scene in Vancouver. Note however that cannabis is tolerated but not legal, although there are provisions for medical use.

While there are no shops that openly sell cannabis there is what I would call a “reefer district” that runs for a few blocks on the East end of West Hastings Street in the downtown area. We were told that it easy to score here, but instead we took advantage of a new rage in Canada – mail order buds!

The best source for information about the scene in Canada is www.cannabisculture.com. In their forum section they actually have a specific thread about recommended mail order companies. We used budmail.biz for our order. When we arrive at our hotel we received a currier delivery of super bubble hash that we enjoyed during our stay. More expensive than Amsterdam but equal quality.

Go and enjoy a great time in Canada.

Ned
mazdog

Post by mazdog »

thanks Ned.

buds by mail!!! that is awesome.
Tommy G

Post by Tommy G »

I`ve been ordering buds by mail 4 many years.
CityLiver

Post by CityLiver »

I know this is an old thread, but just to deposit some info:

Weed is decriminalized there; being a civilized place, they treat even hard drug problems as medical issues, not military ones. Weed was on the road to legalisation until the Conservatives won the recent national elections. A minority gov't, they should be in power around 18 months and they won't consider further action -- if anything they will try to tighten laws.

Coffeehouses/smoke shops that let you smoke it include at least one on Granville near Davie, 2-3 at the corner of Hastings & Abbot, and one on Commercial Drive. They are quite open & advertise what they do. But they don't sell weed, just equipment and drinks.

All public places are officially non-smoking in Vancouver . This is often ignored at the coffeehouses. They, as well as some bars, clubs, etc., have enclosed smoking rooms indoors for smoking. If it's not a coffeehouse, it depends on the place on whether they frown on smoking pot in there. My experience is that strip clubs are OK, regular bars not, but when in doubt, just ask a waiter/waitress.

I would advise you to follow the guide books and AVOID the drug market near Chinatown for buying it. If you are male, or an aggressive woman, you should have no trouble w/ any hassles by just walking around down there, but it is quite seedy; and I would not buy anything from anyone there. You are much more likely to get ripped off, IMHO, to varying degrees, & it's the place for harder drugs, it seems.

Some sites to check out for Vansterdam:

http://www.webehigh.com/city/detail.php?CITYID=2024
http://www.bcpassport.com/cool.html#smoke
http://www.marijuananews.com/
Last edited by CityLiver on Tue 7th Mar 2006 05:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Are we having beer yet?
-- Zoopy, Zippy's drunk brother
lctricity

Post by lctricity »

Yeah man, Vancouver is NO Amsterdam, unless you know the right people. That said, anywhere could be Amsterdam, or better if ya know the right people.

Good times nonetheless and lots 'o potential!

On a side note, you guys in the US will have to check out a story on Vancouver and the marijuana scene tommorow night on CBS's 60 Minutes.

The Prince Of Pot
DoctorJim

Post by DoctorJim »

lctricity wrote:Yeah man, Vancouver is NO Amsterdam, unless you know the right people. That said, anywhere could be Amsterdam, or better if ya know the right people.

Good times nonetheless and lots 'o potential!
Well said. Vancouver is no more Amsterdam than London, indeed EVERY public establishment including bars and private clubs has been Non-smoking for a couple of years now. Cigarette smokers now hide in the dark corners like a lower form of society so you certainly won't expect to blaze one in the local Latte Bar. If you know the natives you might connect, however unless you wish to crawl around the seediest slum areas where the locals don't venture you are unlikely to find anything. Vancouver isn't much different than any other large North American city.

Please come to Vancouver for the scenery, the nightlife, the multi-culturalism, the sincere hospitality, and you will be amazed. KLM fly direct from Vancouver to Amsterdam so why not stop over for a few days on the way to Nirvana.
X

Post by X »

true..
I reckon what you need is bunch of mates, in your living room, with a few six packs of beer, a few grams of green and sufficient rolling aparatus, and a long night of nothing to do.

that's better than amsterdam, vancouver or anything else..
its not about where you are, its about what you make of it.. :P

(wise man talking, see.. 8) )

Peace.