Groningen

After (or during) your trip, post your report here.
kmfdm

Groningen

Post by kmfdm »

I recently took a trip to Groningen and checked out three coffee shops while there: Taverna Oasis, Metamorphose and de Vliegende Hollander. It should probably be noted that I spoke dutch at every shop I visited so I don't know how well you'd get by at these shops without some basic dutch.

Taverna Oasis
This was the best coffee shop of the trip. The prices of the weed are listed on a menu by the counter but the weed is sold prebagged in 5-euro bags. The weed and hash is already cheap but on fridays and saturdays you get 3 bags for 12,50 euro instead of 15. Nederskuff is especially nicely priced at around 7e a gram. I went on a friday and picked up two bags of orange sunshine, one bag of bio-crash, and 3 bags of nederskuff. I sat down with my friend who was with me on this trip, began to skin up a joint, and joined in a conversation with a couple of regulars from the shop. We had a good conversation and smoked a couple of joints before we all left to get something to eat.

Metamorphose
I've heard lots of good things about this shop and was a bit disappointed when I got the evil eye from everyone hanging around outside and all the customers inside, but the budtender was really friendly. I bought a gram of nepalese, a gram of lebanese, and some strain that begins with an S. They were all around 8e a gram. Unfortunately, I forgot the full name and that is the only label on the bag. I took my bags and left because of the staredown from the crowd. So much for the supposed lack of an anti-social atmosphere. One plus point for super friendly service.

de Vliegende Hollander
This shop had some really great purple weed at slightly above 4e a gram. I wish I picked up a few more grams of it, but I only bought one because it was the last shop of the trip and I had already spent so much. I also picked up some snow white which is really nice quality at just above 7 euro a gram and two space cakes. I felt comfortable enough to sit in this shop and smoke a joint before catching the last train home. On the train I ate about half of a space cake and felt pretty good the rest of the night. The next day I spent the remaining 1 and a half spacecake with my friend, who proceeded to get even more outrageously high than myself. These nicely potent cakes were more than a bargain at 2,50 euro. The dealer looked like he was concerned we were going to overdose on them when I insisted on buying two, but I tested out half of one first. While this was a pretty low dose for me 2/3rds of a cake was nearly too much for my friend who was incapacitated all night.

Conclusion
When I again feel like enduring the never-ending and uncomfortable 3 hour+ train ride to Groningen, I will definitely stop by both Taverna Oasis and de Vliegende Hollander.
Last edited by kmfdm on Mon 27th Aug 2007 08:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pacificsurf619

Post by Pacificsurf619 »

that sounds like some really good deals..

I like the smaller local coffeeshops, but I definitely agree that knowing some dutch is definitely a smart move..

what was with the staredown?

I have gotten that a few time in Leiden at Coffeeshop Joy, but the budtender has alsways been right on, so I always take and go..

thanks for the info on groningen..
kmfdm

Post by kmfdm »

I'm not sure what prompted the staredown, but I just got the feeling that the group that was there didn't want anyone they didn't know sitting around and "bothering" them. In any case it was clear they didnt want us to stick around. Speaking of Leiden, I live nearby and still haven't checked out their coffee shops. Everytime I'm in Leiden its after they are already all closed.
Taverna Oasis definitely had that smaller local shop feel. It was a really cool place to hangout and the 15e for 12,50 deal is a real bargain.
Pacificsurf619

Post by Pacificsurf619 »

anything really good that you recommend in den haag?

I have to go there on wednesday...
chopitup

Post by chopitup »

Good report Thomas, perhaps you could add them (cut and paste) to the main site where these coffee shops haven't been reviewed for years;

https://www.coffeeshopdirect.com/Oasis.html

https://www.coffeeshopdirect.com/Metamorphose.html

https://www.coffeeshopdirect.com/Vliegende.html
"I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member" - Groucho Marx
kmfdm

Post by kmfdm »

Pacificsurf619 wrote:anything really good that you recommend in den haag?

I have to go there on wednesday...
Koffie en Dromen and Cremer's are the two best places for weed in Den Haag and within walking distance from each other. I recommend going to koffie en dromen first and then going to cremer's to pick up some more before sitting down and smoking your goodies. BTW cremer's has a bar.

If you need something a bit more affordable De Mazzelaar is a great hangout with really good bud, but a lower selection. I recommend the bio-skunk, dynamite, and white widow there. I haven't tried the hashes, but they are available to look at in a binder at the counter.

Recommendations (last time I bought weed in den haag was about 2 months ago so these items may no longer be on the menu):

Koffie en Dromen:
Warlock 9e/g. I recommend getting the 15e deal here which I believe gets you 1,6g. This is the signature weed of koffie en dromen.
I also liked the Haze at 10e/g and super silver haze at 12e/g
Turkish hash 9e/g and King Hassan 12e/g were also both excellent. The turkish was a nice cerebral high and the king hassan was simply overpowing. One hit got me high everytime.
If they have any ice-o-lator in get some. It's always a lot cheaper here than in a-dam. Also, try not to get confused by the menu. The hazes and sativas are on the right. Indicas are on the far left. Hashes are in the middle.

Cremer's:
Lemon Haze 11e/g This is a really nice haze.
Kali Mist 7e/g This is a really nice smoke for when you need to wake up or get some energy.
Berber 7,25e/g This is a really great moroc for the price.
Nepalese (forgot the price i think 9 or 10e/g) You can't ever go wrong with nepalese.
I also picked up some nyc diesel at 9 or 10e/g last time I was there. It was nice grapefruit-smelling diesel, but it isn't that special. You'd be much better off spending 2 more euros and getting a second gram of lemon haze. It's killer stuff.
zunkii

Post by zunkii »

I spent an evening in Groningen as I had a business meeting the next day, the only shop i tried was Metamorphose, i tried the Nepalese and snow white, both were very good, the other thing that was a change from Amsterdam and Harlem which are the two places i have scored before, was the fact that they did 5 euro deals, which was ideal for me as i was only therte for one night.
My dutch is non existant, but the bud tender was very helpful and friendly, as were the other customers probably more so than most in Amsterdam i did not feel intimidated, maybe you just had a bad experience

Cheers

Zunk
kmfdm

Post by kmfdm »

zunkii wrote:I spent an evening in Groningen as I had a business meeting the next day, the only shop i tried was Metamorphose, i tried the Nepalese and snow white, both were very good, the other thing that was a change from Amsterdam and Harlem which are the two places i have scored before, was the fact that they did 5 euro deals, which was ideal for me as i was only therte for one night.
My dutch is non existant, but the bud tender was very helpful and friendly, as were the other customers probably more so than most in Amsterdam i did not feel intimidated, maybe you just had a bad experience

Cheers

Zunk
I tried both of these also and they were quite good. I'm also pleased with the lebanese I picked up there. I just think the crowd that was in there at that time didn't like me for whatever reason. It's also possible they were afraid we were underage because my friend is young enough that she gets carded at every shop.
skars

Post by skars »

I was up in Groningen a few months back and enjoyed coffeeshop Reykjavik. Good prices, friendly staff, and great smoke.
STR 14
DEX 12
CON 15
INT 8
WIS 10
CHA 9