good news for us yanks.

Planning a trip to the Netherlands? Post the details here.
Kingdoc

Post by Kingdoc »

Marco wrote:The euro is in trouble due to the crisis in Greece. If you love Europe, do not celebrate this weakening of the Euro as is could lead us to some serious problems.

Fucking Greeks, cannot run a proper country.

Spain are on the ropes also! people were saying on the radio it will effect our tourism & exports here,& pauli were in debt yea but were not finished yet! even now were what the 4th/5th richest country in the world?,Also no one is gona bail us out so it cant get any worse really.

Pauli Wallnuts

Post by Pauli Wallnuts »

Kingdoc wrote:
Marco wrote:The euro is in trouble due to the crisis in Greece. If you love Europe, do not celebrate this weakening of the Euro as is could lead us to some serious problems.

Spain are on the ropes also! people were saying on the radio it will effect our tourism & exports here,& pauli were in debt yea but were not finished yet! even now were what the 4th/5th richest country in the world?,Also no one is gona bail us out so it cant get any worse really.
2 year ago we got about 1.35 euros to the £, as soon as the recession kicked in the government/BOE started to devalue the £ so as to make our exports more desirable, wether or not this has worked is anyones guess, but at least the government that the people of the country elected into office, could make that decision, unlike the eurozone, its japan i feel sorry for, they were in a deep recession for over a decade, & they finally started to pull themselves out when the credit crunch hit, their yen was valued higher so their exports (which is what the japanese economy relies on) fell drastically, pulling them straight back in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXbNLkNh ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kingdoc

Post by Kingdoc »

Pauli Wallnuts wrote:
Kingdoc wrote:

2 year ago we got about 1.35 euros to the £, as soon as the recession kicked in the government/BOE started to devalue the £ so as to make our exports more desirable, wether or not this has worked is anyones guess, but at least the government that the people of the country elected into office, could make that decision, unlike the eurozone, its japan i feel sorry for, they were in a deep recession for over a decade, & they finally started to pull themselves out when the credit crunch hit, their yen was valued higher so their exports (which is what the japanese economy relies on) fell drastically, pulling them straight back in

When i went back in 2007 after a 5 year hiatus i got like 1100 euros & for only 700 sterling,Last november i cashed up 1050 sterling but only got 1130 euros :cry:,Yea japan is a mad situation! when things are to high people struggle but when prices come down no one makes any money.
DazedandConfusedinOR

Post by DazedandConfusedinOR »

Euro has fallen to under 1.35...keep going! Sure it will recover in the long term, but perfect timing for my trip! Shit, it was just 1.51 in November 2009.
Ingwey Gooblebogger

Post by Ingwey Gooblebogger »

My two centimes worth:

First:
In my view a single currency for an economic zone, comprised of multiple countries, only really works if the is one monetary and fiscal policy for the entire region.

Allowing every country to have its own fiscal and monetary polices, subject to some rules (but not strictly policed nor confirmed by the central regulatory body ((i.e. Brussels)) and then expecting stability of the currency is, to my mind, madness.

However, every country in the EU wanted to keep their own sovereignty, so they would not acquiesce to some faceless EU bureaucrats. This is understandable. However, IMO, this is unworkable with the idea of a single currency.

In addition to the 20 different fiscal and monetary polices, there are 20 different sets of polices on everything else. In particular, social and labour polices, so if the retirement age in Greece (or Spain or Italy) is in the early 50’s to early 60’s, while in Germany (the UK, Netherlands etc) it is in the late 60’s (67 or 68 year old, for Germany, I think), then I can’t imagine the Germans happily paying for the Greek’s early retirement, while Germans have to work a good 10 or more years beyond that.

These things can only cause instability for the currency.

Ironically, the country that stands to gain the most from a devalued Euro is Germany, because they are an exporting nation. Hence, a low Euro means their products become cheaper, and thus more desirable.

Second:
There is plenty of blame to go around for the current Euro problem.

Now, it is true that the Greeks fudged the figures to get into the Euro AND the level of corruption and tax avoidance there is enormous, but the EU’s examiners should have been able to ferret this out. (Maybe they so badly wanted the single currency union to float, they ignored the problem AND/OR, perhaps, the EU monitors were bribed to overlook the issue).

It is also undoubtedly true that US investment banks caused a shitstorm of problems in the financial markets, because the Bush administration did not want to bother forcing (or making them comply with existing) regulations on them, so they merrily went on their greedy way, to hell with outcome.

US investment banks did do a debt swap with the Greeks, but these are not really that unusual if you are used to dealing with or understanding derivatives. BUT, if they did so to conceal the Greeks’ level of debt , then I think they should be slapped with much more regulations in such dealings.

Also, as pointed out, other EU countries have allowed their debts to balloon, so to single out the "PIGS" is somewhat unfair. If the UK had not allowed itself to be tricked into Iraq war (that fucking cunt, Blair :roll: ), I'll bet that they would now have a surplus. (Silly buggers) :D
Kingdoc

Post by Kingdoc »

Ah here we are,I found that recept i got when i cashed up during the good old days

802.44p (pounds) = 1065 (Euros)

& the rate was 1.3272