No more need for HPS??? Check this out!

Including growing tips and questions.
Trichome_Dense

No more need for HPS??? Check this out!

Post by Trichome_Dense »

Ok - So far all growers have used either HPS (High Pressure Sodium - red spectrum) or MH (Metal Halide - blue spectrum) lighting set ups for their indoor grows...

I was in the UK Hemp and Hydro exhibition (truman brewery, London - last Autumn) and saw a set up with LED lights - Yes, LED lights - But... and this is a big but!!! BUT - they were only good for raising seedlings/cuttings and not really for Growth and Bloom phase...

Not until now...

http://easygrowled.com/ProductDetail/ta ... fault.aspx

I'm thinking of getting one of these babies - has anyone tried these yet?

The advantages of these new generation LED grow lights is phenomenal - No heat signature, can place LED to bud without bud burn, less cost in electricity, enviromentally safe, no risk of fire ... etc etc .... check this out peeps!!! :wink:

... as long as it aint a cheque ;)
geoffk

Post by geoffk »

Hmm. So who's gonna try it first :idea: I have my suspicions, but I'll wait and see.
Trichome_Dense

Post by Trichome_Dense »

My mater just ordered - yippeeee, if this works - I predict all draughts and famines regarding the fabled herb shall be a thing of the past... or at least the situation here in Blighty will be better...

The guys who actually on the website - are situated in the next town from mine - this is too easy man!!! :D
Last edited by Trichome_Dense on Mon 15th Jun 2009 07:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boner

Post by Boner »

The grows I've seen on LED's dont touch what the equalivalant HPS can do.
Being pedantic and knobbish since 1972
Trichome_Dense

Post by Trichome_Dense »

How long ago did you see these grows - coz I'm inclined to agree with you Boner, they didnt work for Growth and Bloom phase - but this is a new technology, which powers each LED with 1WATT of power - pretty damn high for an LED if you ask me mate!!!

It actually think these will work! The technology is sound - and the site explains it all clearly enough..., well now that my mate has ordered a set I can finally see if they will work or not. Trouble is - I'll still have to wait 3 months humph!!!

Ok - let's see then...

Meanwhile v- if anyone is using these specific lights - from this company - we want to know how they are performing!!! So plewase give us your 2 cents worth! Thanks
Boner

Post by Boner »

This is the latest grow I've seen anyone using led's, looks like they're the high-output ones as well: http://www.thcfarmer.com/forums/f54/l-e ... ains-9398/

It looks decent but not what I'd call brilliant, I'm not sure how much penetration the led's will have either which is something a HPS does have, I suppose some LST and maybe even scrog would sort that out but thats a little more complicated than straight forward growing.
Being pedantic and knobbish since 1972
Trichome_Dense

Post by Trichome_Dense »

Well =- he could try bringing the LED's closer to the plants - he wont get Bud Burn...

Basically, in a 600w HPS - there is only between 8 -10% of this light being used by the plants - this is the red/blue spectrum... The rest is a waste off apparently...

In the LED lights - there is nowt but Red or Blue spectrum - dependent on what you order - probably a better idea to go for a combination of both imo.

So - essentially - event though you are using less wattage - the plants are seeing more phot-active light if that makes any sense...

However, I do think these LED lights were meant to be used a lot closer than shown on the link - probably why they aint as spectaular as some buds I've seen in weeks 2 and 3 of flower...

Let's see how this goes for now.
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

As i said before in the post on L.E.D lighting a year ago, Dont waste your time and money on L.E.D.
If they was any good they would be more readily available from Growshops.
You wont get the same yield as HPS simple as that.

If someone can prove me wrong then go ahead?
Trichome_Dense

Post by Trichome_Dense »

I would have agreed up til a month ago - but this site is claiming some crazy shit - and the link which Boner has provided us with on this forum - at least kinda backs up the claims - check it out man!
dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Shall watch with interest.

I have an HPS light - 400W - but no grow room, not since the upstairs was rearranged several years back. Am using it for 4 hours a day on the lowryders I'm growing - that's 10 hours outside and 4 in - the results after 6 weeks are pretty damn fab. Big problem is the heat, as the lamp is set-up in the pantry that doubles as a wine store, and I'm pretty sure it's going to ruin my collection of old wine if I don't shut the lamp down soon!

:cry:
In the valley of the norms, the 3 eyed man is king
doobydave

Post by doobydave »

Big problem is the heat, as the lamp is set-up in the pantry that doubles as a wine store, and I'm pretty sure it's going to ruin my collection of old wine if I don't shut the lamp down soon!
A valiant sacrifice.....
:)
Ingwey Gooblebogger

Post by Ingwey Gooblebogger »

Although I am somewhat sceptical, I am open minded re: these bulbs/setups.

What would be cool would be to have someone run an experiment, where all other factors could be kept the same (or as close as possible), using clones from the same mother plants and then comparing the grows.

They could check to see if they mature as fast, they give similar yields, the cured buds have same potency, and so on.

It would be nice to hear this info from a legitimate grower, with no undue biases. (Rather than from some corporate literature)
USbongLord

Post by USbongLord »

hahahahahaha..fuck change..im stayin put.....dont really see any proof yet that they are better..so here i stay....
rockin into the night
Fred Lemonjello

Post by Fred Lemonjello »

Not yet convinced myself about the LED's..... but I would imagine they have uses with some folks... with limited space and ventilation.

Blast mine with 1,000 watt HPS in a 5X5 flower area.

Hit em with 560 watts for veg.... 14 each 4 foot 40 watt fluorescent tubes.

Room is 6.5 foot by 8.5 foot.

In & out vent.

Clone of a clone of a clone of a clone.......... :P

Fred
4th Trip~ 19-30 Nov 2009
Trichome_Dense

Post by Trichome_Dense »

Fred - you rock man! " aclone from a clone of a clone from a clone" fuckin' aye mate!!! lol